Jerk question ? ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MikeMaben

Recruit
Dec 27, 2012
Re: P-51D Jersey Jerk , there are decals of this a/c that show the name Jersey Jerk
on both sides of the nose. I've never seen a photo of the starboard side nose so is
there such a photo ? None on Google.
TIA

:)

Re: P-51D Jersey Jerk , there are decals of this a/c that show the name Jersey Jerk
on both sides of the nose. I've never seen a photo of the starboard side nose so is
there such a photo ? None on Google.
TIA

:)
It was customary for the pilot to name the left side of the plane and the crew chief to name the right side (which didn't happen all to often. It would be doubtful that the name "Jersey Jerk" would appear on both sides.

Unfortunately the most pics with P-51s of the squadron shows the port sides only. However I have seen one image showing a name of a plane at the strarboard. But it doesn't mean that's the rule. So I agree with the post above. I would follow the name marking on the port side only.

Agree with everyone's comments, as it was rare to have the plane's nickname on both sides.

Fighters, bombers and even transports typically had the nickname (and/or noseart) on the left, most likely because that was the mount/dismount for the single-seat and is the pilot's side aboard a multiple-crew aircraft.

In regards to Straight's "Jersey Jerk", here's a photo of his wingman, Clinton Burdick, sitting on the nose of his P-51D "DoDo" with another pilot of the 361st FG.

As you can see in the photo, Burdick's Mustang lacks the nickname on the starboard side.

image.jpg

Thank you gentlemen, I was more likely to assume the same answer
and that the decal sheet was incorrect. I also know that a/c with names
on both sides were most often shared.

O7J17lJ.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

Just a note here.. the Mustangs are of another squadron although of the same fighter group. Therefore the names could be on both sides or not. Just it varied depending on a squadron and time..
Here is a pic of the P-51Ds of the 360nd FS flying. The closest and the one behind her had their names applied while the third one coded PI-A didn't.

P-51D 360 FS.jpg

and here the P-51D coded PI-X without the name on the starboard

P-51D 360 FS  PI-X.jpg

and the one of the 359th FS even didn't have the name at the port side.

P-51D_Mustang_44-11564_356th_FG_359th_FS_Martlesham_Heath_England_1945_Oc-W.jpg

and the same way the one coded OC-B

P-51D 360 FS OC-B.jpg

the pic source : Little Friends

From what I've found, if it was a woman's name on the right side, it was usually the wife or girlfriend of the crew chief. They were usually printed smaller than the name the pilot gave the aircraft, such as PI*O and PI*B in the three plane photo above. If it was a large name, and was not a woman's first name, it was likely a shared aircraft. I've only VERY rarely seen the aircraft's name dupicated on both sides of the nose. Lt. Eldon Slanker's plane, QI*M, The Brunette Bunny, shown in the runway photo above, is one of the few I've seen.

Regarding Jersey Jerk, here is a decal set from Callie Graphics which shows only one name. But, then again, they have the font wrong for the name, so what do they know? :)

P-51_jersey_jerk_190683a2-30ec-45e6-b9e4-99fdf9cc64f2_1024x1024.jpg

It's even questionable whether the Q is done correctly. A number of 361st FS Mustangs had the Q painted with a vertical "tail" rather than diagonal, such as in this photo.

P-51D_Mustang_356th_Fighter_Group_361_Fighter_Squadron.jpg

"Hess" Bomberger's plane, "Carolyn's Vergeltungswaffe," QI*B, 44-15080 also had a vertical tail on the Q, as did at least a couple others. If anyone can find a photo of Jersey Jerk in which the wing isn't in the way of the fuselage code, I would love to see it, to settle that in my mind.

-Irish

I agree.However it looks like the "tail" of the Q letter could be painted of both ways. The QI-A 415094 and the QI-E and QI-M had the diagonal one while QI-O 415071 and QI-S , for instance, had it vertical.

That's just as I said in my post. 44-15080 and at least a couple others had the vertical tail. I think it's most likely one delivery of aircraft which all had squadron markings painted on at the same time. We have 071 and 080 with vertical tails. I would like to see photos of the aircraft between, as well as just before and after, those serial numbers.

-Irish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back