Johnny Cash...Nine Inch Nails (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Udet

Banned
Nov 22, 2004
Being more than a mere Nine Inch Nails listener is that i can tell Mr. Johnny Cash made not only a superb cover version of NIN´s "Hurt"...he surpassed Nine Inch Nails...being a member of a dark industrial music forum is that i learned this was Johnny´s very last video. His epitaph.

The voice of Mr. Cash is so profoundly emotional, i felt overwhelmed by his version of "Hurt"...almost cried. Yes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU

I remember when he did this song. I really enjoyed it when it came out and when I saw the video I was impressed as well.

I got the song on my computer when it came out as well.

You have to give it to Tresnt Rezner of NiN. He said:

" I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore. … It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning—different, but every bit as pure.[1] "

Reznor still occasionally refers to "Hurt" as "a song that isn't mine anymore." (Rock Sound article transcribed on the NIN Hotline

Johnny Cashs house, where the video was shot burned down yesterday:

Fire destroys Johnny Cash home - CNN.com

Good thread, Udet

Comiso: that is correct.

His house burned down, talk about passing away and dust.

"Hurt" is a song from the album "The Downward Spiral" released in the mid 90s (a great album and one of my favorites). The album title itself, as it is known today, pretty much reflected Reznor´s mood by the time of the releasing, a very dark and destructive era in his life.

Do you by chance know if a wooden white house that appears on the video (showing a younger Cash walking around it) was something like his childhood home?

I agree with every word Reznor said about post-Cash "Hurt".

I´ve read lengthy discussions regarding Cash´s video of "Hurt"...all kinds of explanations trying to interpret the meaning of all those images including old Johnny turning his wine cup over emptying its contents and Jesus nailed to the cross...too much effort invested.

I do not try to decipher what an artist means when singing, writing or painting...most times you will never know, or, even worse, your interpretations on what he had in mind could be far from correct.
Take it as it comes and feel it, live it your way.

May Johnny rest in peace. I am thankful artists like him have existed.

A strong contender for best cover version ever. I have heard that Cash knew he was dying when he performed it, which only makes it all the more profound. As brilliant as it is, I can't listen to either version; it's just a bit too much, and can put you in a downer for the rest of the week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back