Ju-88 A4 colours 6/KG54 August 1942

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Simon Ewers

Recruit
Aug 8, 2019
Hi all out there. Looking for the colour scheme a specific Ju-88 A4 would have worn when destroyed by 85 Sq Havocs on 12-13th August 1942.

What I know so far:

Werk No. = 5804 ; Unit = 6/KG54 (Totenkopf) ; Code = B3 + SP ; Arrived at Beauvais (from the Eastern Front) on 8-9th July 1942.

Help needed to identify the scheme she wore:

Upper surfaces: Splinter pattern RLM 70 & 71 ?
Lower surfaces: RLM 65?
Codes: B = Black ; 3 = Black ; S = Yellow ; P = Black (were they solid or outlined in white?)
Rear fuselage 'theatre' band: Did it have one and what colour? Was it yellow from the Eastern Front?
Wing tips: Were they painted and if so, yellow to match the theatre band?
Cowlings: As per wing-tips?
Unit badge; Yellow Totenkopf?
Spinners: Yellow (unit colours) and entire or a coloured ring?

This aircraft crash site is only a few miles from home and I'm looking to replicate the aircraft in scale for a bit of local history/interest.

A newby to identifying specific aircraft details so hoping all you clued-up sleuths out there can help.

THANK YOU

Where was the crash site ?
If in the UK, then there might be some info in my Luftwaffe Crash Archive series of books.
Otherwise, colour scheme would have been as you describe, but not sure about the theater bands - I'll see what I can dig up.

Hi, it was just north of Burnham on crouch in Essex... Hope you can find something and thank you 😀

No photo I'm afraid, as the aircraft dived vertically into the ground, going deep, trying to avoid the Havoc.
However, from other photos of the period, it's certain the undersides were over-painted in black, probably washable paint, as were the Balkenkreuz, and probably the swastika. Code latter were all black, the yellow 'S' either being replaced by black, or crudely over-painted, and the theater tail band would not be present.
Although other Staffel and Gruppen from KG54 seem to have had the spinner tips in the Staffel colour, from what I've seen, 6/KG 54 used a yellow ring around the spinner, approximately at the mid point, although it is possible that this was also painted out.
Upper surface colours were otherwise the standard RLM 70 /71 splinter pattern.

The profile and photos below, from the 'Kampflieger' series, by J .Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek, although from a slightly earlier period, and from 5/KG54, give an idea of what the overall appearance of the aircraft would have looked like, although the swastika was more than likely crudely over-painted on your subject.
Hope this helps.

Ju 88 night.jpg

No photo I'm afraid, as the aircraft dived vertically into the ground, going deep, trying to avoid the Havoc.
However, from other photos of the period, it's certain the undersides were over-painted in black, probably washable paint, as were the Balkenkreuz, and probably the swastika. Code latter were all black, the yellow 'S' either being replaced by black, or crudely over-painted, and the theater tail band would not be present.
Although other Staffel and Gruppen from KG54 seem to have had the spinner tips in the Staffel colour, from what I've seen, 6/KG 54 used a yellow ring around the spinner, approximately at the mid point, although it is possible that this was also painted out.
Upper surface colours were otherwise the standard RLM 70 /71 splinter pattern.

The profile and photos below, from the 'Kampflieger' series, by J .Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek, although from a slightly earlier period, and from 5/KG54, give an idea of what the overall appearance of the aircraft would have looked like, although the swastika was more than likely crudely over-painted on your subject.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 549088
Hi, wow, lots of info. Thank you. I'll digest all that and make a start on my kit planning. Your help has been invaluable. Simon

You're welcome Simon.
If possible, post the progress in the modelling section, in 'Start to Finish Builds'. That way, if you need further info, help or advice, we can all chip in.

Cheers,

Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back