Well I wrote a sizable book which already explains it in quite some detail.
But broadly sleeves had reached the limit of boost and been found wanting (big problems with liner distortion and also thermal issues due to the obviously
appalling conductivity through the sleeve. I dont think you`ll ever get more than was gotten from the Sabre with water injection.
Jumo 213 only became superlative with the 4-valve head, although it was already drastically more advanced than the Merlin (until the 100 series) in most respects (water cooled
exhaust valve guides, swirl throttle, crankshaft nose oil feel, oil centrifuge and so on. All of which are on all Formula One engines on the grid right now (although Renault used
to make do without a centrifuge, by having a bigger and more complex oil tank, but they probably have a centrifuge now).
Broadly the 213 reached about the same max boost pressure as the Sabre throughout the war but on 87 Octane fuel. Which is quite extraordinary
and shows how much better the cooling of the combustion chamber/piston/bore walls must have been. The Sabre made decent power but
at least in part by running at high rpm. The 213J ran only 300rpm slower and "apparently" was planned to exceed 4000rpm eventually. Which I can
believe looking at the internal parts (much lighter than 213A).
As far as comparisons to today, as far as I know except for some novelty engines which don't appear to be used for much, nobody is using sleeves for anything.
As I said, every F1 engine on the grid has virtually every major design aspect of the 213.
The 213 has a pretty quirky design for the liner attachment which I don't think I`d use myself, but otherwise, if I were to design an aero engine now,
I`d pretty much scale down a 213J and maybe just opt for a Merlin 2-piece block sandwiched liner attachment.
Sabre was definitely obstructed and strangled by people at RR and the Air Ministry (F. R. Banks), but, was basically a very expensive and mostly unreliable novelty
which was in hindsight, the wrong technical path. The component design is very good, but the sleeve concept was a mistake. Quite possibly a poppet
valve Sabre would have been quite a hard thing to beat.
The 213 pointed to the future in nearly every respect, and aside from the slightly odd liner clamps, and in "J" form, is vastly technologically superior in general concept to
anything else which flew in combat in WW2. The power it extracted from bog standard B4 fuel is quite remarkable, if you were to downrate Allied engines to run on
87 octane, nothing would have been close to a 213 on a per-litre basis. Wartime problems, materials shortages, fuel shortages and so on together with the significant failure to
get a 4-valve head into combat production on the 213 prevented it from becoming a world-beater. Its an unbelievably advanced engine in concept, an entire generational leap
ahead of the DB600 series.