Jumo 213 vs. Napier Sabre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Eng wins the internet today:

Its weight with intercooler was 2,325lb (1,055kg) and the power output was 2,350hp for take-off at 3,700rpm.

From "The Race for Hitlers X-Planes Britains 1945 Mission to Capture Secret Luftwaffe Technology" by John Christopher.
That doesn't seem much better than its British and American counterparts. IIRC Calum mentioned that it had by far the best power-to-weight ratio and achieving this with lowly B4 fuel.
The figure you're giving is at the lower spectrum of those which were named by different people (sources?).
I've seen from 2400, 2600, 2700 up to 2900 PS.
Operational Griffons reached up to almost 2400 hp.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem much better than its British and American counterparts. IIRC Calum mentioned that it had by far the best power-to-weight ratio and achieving this with lowly B4 fuel.
The figure you're giving is at the lower spectrum of those which were named by different people (sources?).
I've seen from 2400, 2600, 2700 up to 2900 PS.
Operational Griffons reached up to almost 2400 hp.
I believe 2350 hp was dry . 2600 ps was with MW50. And there were expectations for up to 3000ps future development.
These numbers are just competitive in absolute numbers with the Anglo-American engines. But are impressive considering that were achieved on B4 fuel, and with raw materials limitations

I believe 2350 hp was dry . 2600 ps was with MW50. And there were expectations for up to 3000ps future development.
These numbers are just competitive in absolute numbers with the Anglo-American engines. But are impressive considering that were achieved on B4 fuel, and with raw materials lilimitations
The 2900 PS are from Calum. Over 3000 PS with fuel competitive to Allied high-grade ones would have been surely possible.

The 213J curve Calum located is in this post:
Maybe the 2900 PS figure is the "speculative" 2800 PS? It looks it.

Last edited:
Eng wins the internet today:

Its weight with intercooler was 2,325lb (1,055kg) and the power output was 2,350hp for take-off at 3,700rpm.

From "The Race for Hitlers X-Planes Britains 1945 Mission to Capture Secret Luftwaffe Technology" by John Christopher.

Thanks! I was thinking of speculating 1050kg. However, I wrote the best relatable reference that I had at hand, rather than make it up.

Eng

I came across a rather odd statement in the book "Junkers Aircraft and Engines" by Anthony L. Kay (Putnam Aeronautical Books, 2004) on page 273 that the 213J was "armored for low-altitude missions". Is this just the author's imagination?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back