Kayseri factory aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Balkandave

Recruit
Aug 18, 2021
Hi
This picture was taken in the Turkish aircraft factory at Kayseri in the 1930s. Can anyone tell me what aircraft it is. I suspect army cooperation although the list of aircraft I have all look like bi-planes. Thanks.

Image19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a Polish PZL P-24C fighter produced by the PZL factory in Warsaw and under licence by KTF (Kayseri Airplane Factory) in 1936-1937. The P-24C series for Turkey consisted of 26 planes made by the PZL in Poland and 20 licenced ones by the KTF. They were equipped with four 7.9mm Colt-Browning machine guns and had two underwing racks for 50kg bombs. The P-24C version was powered by the French made Gnome-Rhone reciprocating radial engine with an output of 900HP. The no.2126 aircraft was assembled by the PZL factory as memo serves. The aircraft belonged to the 4th Aviation Regiment ( Tayyeare Alayi ), 8th Squadron ( Av Taburu ) of the Turkish AF based at the Kutahaya airbase in 1938.

full.jpg

the source: the net

Thanks very much. I mistook the struts in the line drawing in my source for a bi-plane. And it said 1938. That is very helpful.

It is a Polish PZL P-24C fighter produced by the PZL factory in Warsaw and under licence by KTF (Kayseri Airplane Factory) in 1936-1937. The P-24C series for Turkey consisted of 26 planes made by the PZL in Poland and 20 licenced ones by the KTF. They were equipped with four 7.9mm Colt-Browning machine guns and had two underwing racks for 50kg bombs. The P-24C version was powered by the French made Gnome-Rhone reciprocating radial engine with an output of 900HP. The no.2126 aircraft was assembled by the PZL factory as memo serves. The aircraft belonged to the 4th Aviation Regiment ( Tayyeare Alayi ), 8th Squadron ( Av Taburu ) of the Turkish AF based at the Kutahaya airbase in 1938.

View attachment 638386
the source: the net
Where did the pilot sit? Was it Spirit of Saint Louis type visibility?
DW

It has a "gull" wing. The pilot is located behind the wing with the canopy above the wing. Looking forward, through the gull shape must have severely limited vision.

Yes the pilot sat in the cockpit just in the way you described. But the view from the cockpit was excellent both above the wing and under it. The view forward was also very good because the wing was thinned at the fuselage. In that way the visibility was limited just in the same way like there would be the frame of the cockpit canopy.

p24cockpit_.jpg

p24cockpit.jpg

p24cockpit_front.jpg

the pic source: the net

Yes the pilot sat in the cockpit just in the way you described. But the view from the cockpit was excellent both above the wing and under it. The view forward was also very good because the wing was thinned at the fuselage. In that way the visibility was limited just in the same way like there would be the frame of the cockpit canopy.

View attachment 638980
View attachment 638981
View attachment 638982
I had always thought the view would have been terrible. I'm surprised as well as educated

View attachment 638980
View attachment 638981
View attachment 638982
As someone with experience flying tail wheeled aircraft, I am pretty sure that the view forward during take off and landing was terrible to awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back