Kerlin-B**tard Airfield (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AshleyPomeroy

Recruit
May 15, 2016
Something has bothered me for some years, and I wonder if anyone can shed some light on it. Back in WW2 there was an airfield in France, near Brest, with the unlikely name of Kerlin-B**tard. It was commandeered by the Luftwaffe and eventually raided by B-17s in 1943.

It seems to have been named after a place. There was an Earl of Kerlin-B**tard, and there's a photo of what looks like a road sign on Flickr, it is mentioned in operational reports, it is mentioned in e.g. Norman Franks' Typhoon Attack, etc etc, but otherwise both the place and the airfield seem to have vanished in 1944 or so.

Does anyone know anything about it? The name is distinctive to say the least. Typing the name into Google maps reveals an empty field right next to Lorient South Brittany airfield, which I learn was built by the Luftwaffe in WW2 to support submarine operations. The empty field does appear to have once had a straight grass runway, and I assume the airfield was abandoned once Lorient was finished.

Maybe bastard means something else in French ?

I remember in NKP Thailand, the word me had a completely different definition to the locals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back