Hello Taly01,
Hi Ivan, The wing failures and aileron problems at high speeds of the early Zero is something I only recently found out about, so with the Ki-43-I they were both not safe divers!
My understanding is that the failures on the early A6M were not so much a structural weakness problem as a matter of harmonics and flutter problems. A hobby shop in my area that closed many years back used to have a section of wing skin from a Ki-43. It was amazingly flimsy.
Report covers 1942 Japanese fighters, also supports current knowledge that even later Ki-43-I still used 1x7.7 and 1x12.7.
Researcher@Large - 1943 Air Information Summary 12
Thanks for the link. This report makes for some really good reading. An interesting note is the speed that is listed for the "Hap" which is a bit higher than other sources show.
I have been looking at 2 blade vs 3 blade prop sizes (actually for 1/48 models), the 2 blade prop is only slightly longer but blades are fatter. Is their some calculation for HP/blade?
You are correct, the propeller diameters are 2.900 meters for Ki-43-I and 2.800 meters for Ki-43-II.
There isn't much difference there, but there are more factors involved.
The concept to look at is something called "Propeller Power Coefficient" which is described as "Power" or Cp at this site:
Propeller Formulas
Basically it is a relationship of "How Hard" the Engine can turn the Propeller as compared to how hard the Propeller is to turn. It isn't Torque and it isn't Power, but rather is a non-dimensional number.
Note that the formula is fairly simple and doesn't take into account things like number of propeller blades or blade profiles or anything like that. I see those factors as modifier when comparing different shaped propellers.
I believe it is pretty safe to assume that a 3 blade propeller with the same blade profile as a 2 blade would have 50% more ability to absorb power.
I am sure there are some folks out there who are probably thinking that the efficiency of a 2 blade propeller would be higher because fewer blades are more efficient. At least that is the Theory.
From what I have seen, this is not supported by actual experimental data including NACA reports. Peak efficiency tends to be about the same regardless of the number of blades.
Now comes the opinion part: (Not my original thinking)
Fewer blades ARE more efficient but only if the propeller has no forward motion and each blade is going through the turbulence / wake of the other blades. In practical use, the propeller is moving forward and the blades don't interfere much with each other because each blade takes a path through a different part of the airstream.
Although it isn't seen much, there ARE single blade propellers with a counterweight. Typically they are seen in very light flying model aeroplanes. I believe that in those cases, there are other factors involved such as a limited number of rotations of the propeller (rubber band power) or very low torque and very low forward speeds so that even with two blades, they would operate in each other's wake.
Here are the actual numbers I used for calculations:
Ki-43-I
Power: 990 HP @ 2700 RPM (Take-Off and WEP at SL)
Propeller: 2.900 meters (9.514 feet)
Reduction: 16/11 or 1.454545
Cp = 0.1042
Ki-43-II
Power: 1150 HP @ 2800 RPM (Take-Off and WEP at SL)
Propeller 2.800 meters (9.186 feet)
Reduction: 12/7 or 1.7428 - This is probably the biggest difference between the two.
Cp = 0.2118
Yes, the number is twice as high for the Ki-43-II, but when adjusted for two blade versus three blade propellers and using Military HP, they get a little closer. WW2 prop driven fighters tend to cluster around the 0.13 to 0.17 range. The Ki-43-I is about middle of the pack and Ki-43-II is just above the high end of this range.
- Ivan.