Liberator III LV340 X/120 Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peter C

Airman
Dec 26, 2023
Hi all, I'm looking for a photo of the following aircraft, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

LIBERATOR Mk III LV340 OH -X120

Crashed 21 August 1942 Carnlough Northern Ireland.

Crew.

F/O. M F Dear.
Sgt. A B Meyer.
P/O. A B Gomperts.
Sgt. C Humphrey.
Sgt. R Ainslie.
Sgt. T W Taylor RNZAR,
Sgt. I V McQuay.

G/C. Goode. DSO DFC AFC. Passenger.

Nothing in the Squadron ORB as the aircraft was on an air test. Crashed on the lower slopes of Big Trosh Mountain Carnlough, Northern Ireland, there were no survivors.

Flew into Limnalary Mountain in bad weather at Carnlough, County Antrim.

G/C Goode a 1914 – 18 fighter ace, Sgt Meyer and Sgt Taylor, from Marlbrough. New Zealand , rest in Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland Churchyard County Londonderry. P/O Gomperts in Willesden Jewish Cemetery, Middlesex and F/O Dear in Anfield Crematorium, Liverpool. Sgt Humphrey was taken to Maidstone Cemetery, Kent. Sgt Ainslie to the Central Churchyard, Tollcross, Glasgow, and Sgt McQuay to St. Mary Churchyard, Sholing, Hampshire for burial. G/C Goode had retired from the RAF and was on board as a civilian in the Air Accident Branch.

What exactly does "LV340" and "OH -X120" mean?

Are you suggesting the aircraft in question was marked "LV340" as in the aircraft ID?
Like these Mk.IIIs from 120 Sqdn (in Ireland, 1942) are marked FK228 and FL933?
Other than the correct aircraft code, they all appear to look like this.
They were sub hunters.

I haven't found any reference to LV aircraft codes.

And what does "OH -X120" mean?
Something to do with 120 squadron?
Where did you get all these numbers/codes?
Maybe thats a starting point.

Liberators_120_and_86_Sqn_RAF_at_Aldergrove_c1943.jpg

Okay, I found this in one of my books:
"366 Lib IIIs were assigned to Coastal Command as Sub Hunters. An additional 11 B-24Ds (not the British altered Mk IIIs) were delivered directly to Coastal Command during the Battle of the Atlantic, retaining standard US armament. For RAF purposes these aircraft received the designation Mk IIIa."

I came across an aircraft code list that suggested these 11 aircraft had the code LV.
So LV340 is the ac code.
LV340 (USAAF 41-1122)

Whether these 11 got the same paint scheme, I don't know...I doubt it.
They probably just arrived in OD or stripped of paint.
Would they have bothered applying the same paint scheme?

Keeping in mind that a Lib MkIII is the lend lease version of the B-24D with different guns and turrets.

Last edited:
What exactly does "LV340" and "OH -X120" mean?

Are you suggesting the aircraft in question was marked "LV340" as in the aircraft ID?
Like these Mk.IIIs from 120 Sqdn (in Ireland, 1942) are marked FK228 and FL933?
Other than the correct aircraft code, they all appear to look like this.
They were sub hunters.

I haven't found any reference to LV aircraft codes.

And what does "OH -X120" mean?
Something to do with 120 squadron?
Where did you get all these numbers/codes?
Maybe thats a starting point.

View attachment 758811

LV340 was the aircrafts RAF serial number. OH was the No.120 Squadron ID code. X was the aircrafts ID code on the Squadron.
There were many Liberators with the LV serial. Quite a few served with Coastal Command, The Liberator IIIA (LV serials retained most if not all their American equipment) If you require more info please ask

Okay, I found this in one of my books:
"366 Lib IIIs were assigned to Coastal Command as Sub Hunters. An additional 11 B-24Ds (not the British altered Mk IIIs) were delivered directly to Coastal Command during the Battle of the Atlantic, retaining standard US armament. For RAF purposes these aircraft received the designation Mk IIIa."

I came across an aircraft code list that suggested these 11 aircraft had the code LV.
So LV340 is the ac code.
LV340 (USAAF 41-1122)

Whether these 11 got the same paint scheme, I don't know...I doubt it.
They probably just arrived in OD or stripped of paint.
Would they have bothered applying the same paint scheme?

Keeping in mind that a Lib MkIII is the lend lease version of the B-24D with different guns and turrets.

The first Liberators to go to Coastal Command went to 120 Squadron in June 1941 and were designed Liberator I. AM serials, they were the only VLR aircraft to serve with Command, Liberators that followed did not have the range of the Liberator I's The first photo is of Liberator I AM923 W/120 the second is of the rear gun position of the Liberator I the air gunner would open sliding doors, step out onto a platform and mount the browning . 303. MG a rather precarious position.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpeg
    IMG_0102.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Tail gun MkI Lib.jpeg
    Tail gun MkI Lib.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 9
Here a pic of the LV337 in April 1942. It can be noticed that the Liberator was delivered in the Olive Drab over the Neutral Grey "uniform". IMHO the whole batch of the LV serials of the RAF was painted in that way.

Liberator-Mark-III-41-1087-LV337.jpg

the source: Consolidated B-24 Liberator in RAF Service - Destination's Journey

Here is the LV345 while servicing in the 86 ( 120 ? ) Squadron RAF Coastal Command. No data is provided but it can be noticed that the Coastal Command Liberators wore the CC camo.

Liberator IIIA, LV345 86 Squadron RAF.jpg

Liberator IIIA, LV345 86 Squadron RAF_.jpg

the source: Consolidated B-24 Liberator in RAF Service - Destination's Journey

Also it can be noticed that the LV series for the RAF was armed with the US armament.

There were only 11 Liberators bearing LV??? serial numbers - LV336-LV346. All were delivered to Dorval Canada in March 1942 to be flown across the Atlantic arriving in April. These serials were allocated once the aircraft arrived with Scottish Aviation Ltd at Prestwick. Another aircraft was lost en route and another was returned to USAAF control so serials LV348 & LV349 were never issued. Other LV serial blocks were issued by MAP for use on Liberators at this time in anticipation of further such emergency deliveries, but were not in fact used. They became Liberator IIIA in the RAF because of their non-standard equipment.

This batch were transferred at a time when normal RAF deliveries in the FK serial range had yet to begin. The first FK222 arrived at Dorval on 14 April 1942. At that time 120 was the sole Liberator in CC. It was July 1942 before 224 sqn received any Liberators, followed by 59 sqn in Aug and Oct 1942 before 86 sqn received any.

This LV batch were delivered to SAL in OD/NG USAAF camouflage. But all were repainted in Coastal Command colours before issue to units.

LV340 arrived at Prestwick on 24 April 1942 and after necessary mods and repainting was issue d to 120 sqn on 10 May 1942 with the individual aaircraft code letter X. It crashed while on an air test on 21 August 1942 with no survivors.

While the code OH was allocated to 120 at this time, it's aircraft rarely carried them.

There were only 11 Liberators bearing LV??? serial numbers - LV336-LV346. All were delivered to Dorval Canada in March 1942 to be flown across the Atlantic arriving in April. These serials were allocated once the aircraft arrived with Scottish Aviation Ltd at Prestwick. Another aircraft was lost en route and another was returned to USAAF control so serials LV348 & LV349 were never issued. Other LV serial blocks were issued by MAP for use on Liberators at this time in anticipation of further such emergency deliveries, but were not in fact used. They became Liberator IIIA in the RAF because of their non-standard equipment.

This batch were transferred at a time when normal RAF deliveries in the FK serial range had yet to begin. The first FK222 arrived at Dorval on 14 April 1942. At that time 120 was the sole Liberator in CC. It was July 1942 before 224 sqn received any Liberators, followed by 59 sqn in Aug and Oct 1942 before 86 sqn received any.

This LV batch were delivered to SAL in OD/NG USAAF camouflage. But all were repainted in Coastal Command colours before issue to units.

LV340 arrived at Prestwick on 24 April 1942 and after necessary mods and repainting was issue d to 120 sqn on 10 May 1942 with the individual aaircraft code letter X. It crashed while on an air test on 21 August 1942 with no survivors.

While the code OH was allocated to 120 at this time, it's aircraft rarely carried them.

My father was lost when Liberator IIIA LV341 Z/120 ditched into the Atlantic on 13 August 1942.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back