Looks for any/all photos of SBDs from VB-10 and the Big E (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

okiesubie

Recruit
Jan 11, 2022
Hello all,

I've been trying to track down and hopefully ID any photos that may be of my grandfather and/or his wingman and lifelong friend. They both flew with VB-10 off of the Enterprise. I've never been able to track down which airframes he personally flew in so I'm looking to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I've been trying to track down and hopefully ID any photos that may be of my grandfather and/or his wingman and lifelong friend. They both flew with VB-10 off of the Enterprise. I've never been able to track down which airframes he personally flew in so I'm looking to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks!
If there was ever a right place to track that down, it's probably here. I wish I could help but the cavalry should be arriving soon.

What is his name?

He flew SBDs with VB-10 on two tours. 10 OCT 1942 to 10 MAY 1943 and 16 JAN 1944 to 15 JUL 1944. He would have been Lt(jg) Charles V Bolton Jr (later LCdr with VBF-15)

He's in that photo, seated directly above the "A" in Squadron with elbows on knees.

It would help if you had an aircraft serial number or aircraft plane number of the side of the fuselage. Do you have his pilot log books from the war? If so, there might be some valuable information on the specific aircraft. Unless there is a photo out there of his plane with his name on the side that is readable, it would be very difficult to find his plane. Here is a photo of a flight of SBDs from VB-10 on a raid to Palau, March 1944. It's quite possible he was in this flight

1661194712655.png

Here is another photo of what appears to be the whole squadron. And, the aircraft plane numbers are on the side. If you knew his plane number, you could pick it out.

1661194884232.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back