MACR 7770 - German “J” Report?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Berdo

Recruit
Dec 4, 2023
Hello: I'm researching the crash of my great-uncle who was KIA over France, August 12, 1944. I received the MACR #7770. In it are two pages different from the MACR itself that I'm not sure who wrote. In each upper right corner is written "J - 1950". The document gives a brief description of aircraft damage, pilot, location, time, date. It also says where pilot was buried. Lastly, the second page closes by saying, "For investigation point of enemy implements : Permission for salvage is requested."

Can anyone tell me who might've written this document, and its purpose?

Thank you.

Front sheet says "German Records Completed". Final page is titled, "teletyping continued". Looks like an addendum posted after post-war analysis of German records.

Hello, Sabrejet

I don't see on my paper copy where it says "German Records Completed." Then again, my copy was mailed to me maybe 20-years ago after I asked US for a copy.

Do you think the report is a translated version of a German report? If so, to whom witnin the German forces would that document have originally been sent? Would the report have been written by those responsible for shooting down the aircraft?

I appreciate your reply.

I think the final two pages are added from teletyped (TWX) inputs. Presumably post-war (from the date), so doubtful compiled by German forces. Possibly from occupation forces or those acting on their behalf. The rest of the MACR looks like a typical contemporary USAAF return.

Regarding this same MACR, and my great-uncle Jim, I have another question. Does anyone know if there was a pilot height limitation before the D model with the bubble canopy came to be? My family was led to believe that Jim, at 6'1", was too tall for the P-51 until the D model came out. Do any of you know if this might be true?

Thank you,

Dominick

Yet another question about MACR's - My great-uncle's MACR #7770 included a cover photo of a destroyed and smoldering P-51. Some of the remaining tail numbers match his aircraft, number 44-13744. Also, I believe the aircraft he was in was identified as CL-A. Would Germans have taken such photos? He was shot down by their flak, yet I think I might see the silhouette of a US Jeep on the horizon between the man and the antenna mast.

Are these cover photos taken from stock, or might that cover photo be of the actual downed aircraft? Aircraft 44-13744, CL-A.

Thank you,

Dominick

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpeg
    IMG_0526.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yet another question about MACR's - My great-uncle's MACR #7770 included a cover photo of a destroyed and smoldering P-51. Some of the remaining tail numbers match his aircraft, number 44-13744. Also, I believe the aircraft he was in was identified as CL-A. Would Germans have taken such photos? He was shot down by their flak, yet I think I might see the silhouette of a US Jeep on the horizon between the man and the antenna mast.

Are these cover photos taken from stock, or might that cover photo be of the actual downed aircraft? Aircraft 44-13744, CL-A.

Thank you,

Dominick

That's 44-14374 FRE 12234 | American Air Museum

That's some darned good sleuthing, mjfur. Thank you. So, do you think that 14374 cover photo is attached to all MACR's that involved Mustangs?
The photo of wrecked 44-14374 was taken at the 355th Fighter Groups airbase, it was an accident and has nothing to do with Missing Air Crew Reports.
I have never seen any photos attached to actual MACR's.

Does anyone know when MACR's from WWII were declassified? I've read it was in the 1980's, but can't find a source. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dominick

For anyone interested, I wrote the archives people.

The series Missing Air Crew Reports (MACRs), 1942–1947 lists the declassification authority 785072 indicating that the series was declassified in 1978.

We hope this information is helpful for your research. If you have further questions please contact the Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR).

Sincerely,

Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)
National Archives at College Park, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back