Marine F4U Corsairs 1943 - Solomon/Russell Islands

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ARay

Recruit
Oct 31, 2021
New here, so feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong section. I'm attempting to do some research on my great-uncle and some of the Corsairs he may have flown while serving with VMF-122, VMF-112, and VMF-214 in the Solomons until he was MIA on 13 Oct 1943. Some basic info on my great-uncle (2nd Lt. Virgil G. Ray) can be found here: Virgil G. Ray - Missing Marines - Unaccounted For

I'd like to do a few builds representing different Corsairs he flew. Completely understand no pilot was assigned a specific plane, they flew what ever plane was operational at the time.

1. First, Marine Corps loss records show that he was flying BuNo. 17679 on the flight he disappeared. This was an F4U-1A. I have spent hours scouring the internet, and have not been able to uncover any picture of this specific corsair. Some general assumptions I currently have: Tri-Color camouflage scheme (Dark Sea Blue, Int Blue, White). Regarding markings, I assume this may have been assigned as 'White 679', given the practice at the time of often using the last three digits of the BuNo as the aircraft markings, though this was not universal. If anyone has seen any pictures of an F4U-1A with 679 on the fuselage, would love to see it.

2. I'd like to represent an F4U-1 birdcage with a specific VMF-122 'nose art'.

I've only seen this in two pictures, one with Virgil in the cockpit, but the close up reveals no details regarding fuselage markings, BuNo, etc.
ray_vg_122.jpeg

Similar art under the cockpit is seen on this plane, White 82 with 'George' nose art and the VMF-122 'Bulldog'. Supposedly the picture below is of 2Lt Harry S Huidekoper, USMCR of VMF-213 around Sept 1943. This plane having previously served with VMF-122. This plane appears to be early two tone, Blue Gray over Light Gray. My question is, has anyone seen other VMF-122 Corsairs with the 'Bulldog' art under the cockpit, or is it possible that the picture above with Virgil, is the same plane?

VMF122 Corsair.jpeg

Third, I'd like to represent the F4U-1 birdcage plane below. Note, these are physical pictures passed down in the family that I simply took a picture of with my phone so the quality is poor. Will attempt to scan and upload clearer copies within the week.

This Corsair appears to be F4U-1, White 80, with the nose art 'Mad Duck'. Camouflage scheme appears to be the Tri-Color of Dark Sea Blue, Int Blue, and White. Unfortunately I do not have a time frame, but I am assuming this is likely during his time with VMF-214 (Aug-Oct 43), given what appears to be tri-color camouflage. Additionally, I have seen pictures of other VMF-214 birdcages from the first Black Sheep tour, with two digit fuselage numbers in similar range (52, 57, 70, 82, 93).

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.51.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.51.22 AM.png

In short, I'm ultimately interested in seeing ANY pictures of Corsairs known to be from VMF-122, 112 and 214 from May-Oct 1943.

Additionally:
1. Pictures or documents of F4U-1A BuNo. 17679
2. Any F4U-1 Corsairs containing the VMF-122 'Bulldog' under the starboard cockpit.
3. Any F4U-1 Corsairs with the White 80 fuselage marking and 'Mad Duck' nose art.

Hope this particular subject is of interest to others and much appreciate you taking the time to read. I've already scanned the forum a decent bit and reached out to Dana Bell (many thanks) who provided some pictures of two F4U-1As likely produced at the same time as BuNo 17679.

Last edited:
Some more documents on Virgil for anyone interested.

VMF-112 War Diary entry 18 July 1943, documenting Virgil getting shot up pretty well, but managing a dead stick landing at Segi:
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.46.15 PM.png

VMF-214 War Diary entry 16 Sept 1943. Documents Virgil flying in Boyington's division in a famous dogfight where Boyington claimed 5 victories. Virgil was credited with one probable.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 12.23.45 PM.png

War Diary entries of VMF-214 and MAG-21 documenting Virgil's disappearance and subsequent search efforts.

ray_vr_wardiary.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.56.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.57.43 PM.png

Last edited:
And the plot thickens.. Just received this today from the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. This is the loss record for BuNo 17679. This card states that it was assigned to VF-17, and did not reach Espirito Santo until 28 Oct, weeks after Virgil was lost on 13 Oct. Starting to think the initial sources stating Virgil was flying 17679 on his disappearance may be incorrect. Even if the date on the card is simply incorrect, and this was the actual plane, very interesting that Navy and Marine squadrons would share planes. Know this was common practice among Marine units, but have not seen examples of Marines flying Navy aircraft.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 1.24.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Updated original posting with slightly better copies of Virgil in front of the White 80 'Mad Duck' Corsair

New here, so feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong section. I'm attempting to do some research on my great-uncle and some of the Corsairs he may have flown while serving with VMF-122, VMF-112, and VMF-214 in the Solomons until he was MIA on 13 Oct 1943. Some basic info on my great-uncle (2nd Lt. Virgil G. Ray) can be found here: Virgil G. Ray - Missing Marines - Unaccounted For

I'd like to do a few builds representing different Corsairs he flew. Completely understand no pilot was assigned a specific plane, they flew what ever plane was operational at the time.

1. First, Marine Corps loss records show that he was flying BuNo. 17679 on the flight he disappeared. This was an F4U-1A. I have spent hours scouring the internet, and have not been able to uncover any picture of this specific corsair. Some general assumptions I currently have: Tri-Color camouflage scheme (Dark Sea Blue, Int Blue, White). Regarding markings, I assume this may have been assigned as 'White 679', given the practice at the time of often using the last three digits of the BuNo as the aircraft markings, though this was not universal. If anyone has seen any pictures of an F4U-1A with 679 on the fuselage, would love to see it.

2. I'd like to represent an F4U-1 birdcage with a specific VMF-122 'nose art'.

I've only seen this in two pictures, one with Virgil in the cockpit, but the close up reveals no details regarding fuselage markings, BuNo, etc.
View attachment 647727

Similar art under the cockpit is seen on this plane, White 82 with 'George' nose art and the VMF-122 'Bulldog'. Supposedly the picture below is of 2Lt Harry S Huidekoper, USMCR of VMF-213 around Sept 1943. This plane having previously served with VMF-122. This plane appears to be early two tone, Blue Gray over Light Gray. My question is, has anyone seen other VMF-122 Corsairs with the 'Bulldog' art under the cockpit, or is it possible that the picture above with Virgil, is the same plane?

View attachment 647728

Third, I'd like to represent the F4U-1 birdcage plane below. Note, these are physical pictures passed down in the family that I simply took a picture of with my phone so the quality is poor. Will attempt to scan and upload clearer copies within the week.

This Corsair appears to be F4U-1, White 80, with the nose art 'Mad Duck'. Camouflage scheme appears to be the Tri-Color of Dark Sea Blue, Int Blue, and White. Unfortunately I do not have a time frame, but I am assuming this is likely during his time with VMF-214 (Aug-Oct 43), given what appears to be tri-color camouflage. Additionally, I have seen pictures of other VMF-214 birdcages from the first Black Sheep tour, with two digit fuselage numbers in similar range (52, 57, 70, 82, 93).

View attachment 648268
View attachment 648269

In short, I'm ultimately interested in seeing ANY pictures of Corsairs known to be from VMF-122, 112 and 214 from May-Oct 1943.

Additionally:
1. Pictures or documents of F4U-1A BuNo. 17679
2. Any F4U-1 Corsairs containing the VMF-122 'Bulldog' under the starboard cockpit.
3. Any F4U-1 Corsairs with the White 80 fuselage marking and 'Mad Duck' nose art.

Hope this particular subject is of interest to others and much appreciate you taking the time to read. I've already scanned the forum a decent bit and reached out to Dana Bell (many thanks) who provided some pictures of two F4U-1As likely produced at the same time as BuNo 17679.
My father also flew late model F4U-1s & F4U-1Ds with VMF-111.
In his book, 'The Black Sheep', subtitled 'The Definitive Account of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in World War II', Bruce Gamble references Virgil G. Ray on 5 diffetent pages. I highly recommend this book, as well as the rest of his works.

My father also flew late model F4U-1s & F4U-1Ds with VMF-111.
In his book, 'The Black Sheep', subtitled 'The Definitive Account of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in World War II', Bruce Gamble references Virgil G. Ray on 5 diffetent pages. I highly recommend this book, as well as the rest of his works.
I have the book and have been going through it again recently. You're correct, it is an outstanding resource for anyone interested in the greater topic of USMC Aviation in the Solomons.

All Marine Corps aircraft were ultimately property of the US Navy, so it is not surprising that they would be transferred between services.
Usually, the Marines got the leftovers from the Navy's requirements. The Corsair was different. With the Navy's decision to standardize on the F6F for shipboard use, the F4Us were made available for land based Marine units.

VF-17 actually operated with F4Us from 1 Jan 1943 to 10 May 1944 (when they re-equipped with Hellcats). While they did qualify aboard CV-17 Bunker Hill for deployment to the Pacific, upon arrival in Hawaii they were detached from the air wing and reassigned to land operations in the Solomons.

So it would be almost certain that if BuNo 17679 at some time required extensive maintenance/repair that a replacement aircraft would be sent to VF-17, and upon completion of repairs it would be sent to whatever USN or USMC squadron needed a replacement aircraft.

ARay,
Kudos on the nice array of USMC collectibles. And a huge "thank you" for pointing out the missingmarines.com website.
VMF-115 arrived in the South Pacific in April of '44 with their F4U-1 and FG-1 aircraft with Joe Foss in command. Of course the questions you have precede their arrival, but anytime there are USMC Corsairs in the subject line it gets my attention as I served in the Vietnam era with VMFA-115. Also, I lost an uncle who was serving with the 90th Bomb Group (H) in the Philippines. His plane disappeared and was never recovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back