Marking Q re: carrier-based A6M circa late summer/autumn 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The rest of the files begin in 1944.
I've seen those they are excellent! The authors work is tremendous. That's going to be the basis for the paint job. The last detail is command stripes — were they used? full length of tail, or matching length of text?

A nice set of pics. However the lack of the white outline of the Hinomaru may indicate the Mitsubishi made Zero but not the Nakajima one. Secondly I'm not sure if these are of the new camouflage introduced in the Spring of 1943. The tops were painted green while the undersides stayed of the grey.. The difference between the Nakajima and Mitsubishi camo was the way of applying of the grey colour at fuselage sides of the tail section. The Nakajima started the colour from the vertical stabilizer undersides while the Mitsubishi just a narrow part at the fuselage bottom. IMHO these pics look like being taken in 1942.

Here the Nakajima-built A6M2 model 21 just dated on August 1942 and IJN Junyo carrier .. looking similar ...

View attachment 769690
Source is Sommerville via www.j-aircraft.com sorry I forget about that. Wife is making me hurry up.

I pulled a couple shots from an NHK newsreel from winter 1944 that shows a fleet deployment that looks an awful lot like it might have been one of Koga's sorties over to the Marshall Islands in fall 1943. Footage is from a carrier deck (Zuikaku? Shōkaku?) and shows two other carriers that might well be the sister ship and Zuiho, as well as some major surface units:

IMG_7128.jpeg
IMG_7126.jpeg

IMG_7127.jpeg

Unfortunately no aircraft though.

Last edited:
Wow those are great shots—from a newsreel I gather?

My understanding is that summer 1943 the navy went to two-tone green/grey paint and removed fuselage stripes from planes.
That appears to be correct. The one I see from the IJN Hiyo has one in March, but it's gone in April.

I *think* Hiyo's planes were deployed to land bases in the Solomons for a big air offensive in April 1943, so they might have been temporarily field-camouflaged.

That's very possible. Here is a taking off Zero from the Rabaul dated on the April 1943. The field applied green tops can be noticed.

zero rabaul April 1943.jpg

the source: the net.

A nice set of pics. However the lack of the white outline of the Hinomaru may indicate the Mitsubishi made Zero but not the Nakajima one. Secondly I'm not sure if these are of the new camouflage introduced in the Spring of 1943. The tops were painted green while the undersides stayed of the grey.. The difference between the Nakajima and Mitsubishi camo was the way of applying of the grey colour at fuselage sides of the tail section. The Nakajima started the colour from the vertical stabilizer undersides while the Mitsubishi just a narrow part at the fuselage bottom. IMHO these pics look like being taken in 1942.
Would you have color illustrations showing the differences?

Would you have color illustrations showing the differences?
I think I do somewhere—I can clarify I think in the meantime. The line between the dark top color and the light belly color runs along the fuselage from the trailing edge of the wing root. On the Nakajima factory-camouflaged planes the line curves up higher on the fuselage to meet the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. On the Mitsubishi planes it stays low.

Beautiful shots!
In the top photo, the A6M in the background has the "Nakajima camo" and white circle around the Hinomaru. Is this correct?

Would the white outline indicate Mitsubishi?

As memo serves the Hinomaru with the white outline was applied by the Nakajima factory to distinguish their Zeros from the Mitsubishu manufacturer built kites. But it was done before the Green/Light Grey camouflage was intorduced in the beginning of the 1943. Soon as the new camo was introduced also the Mitsubishi started applying the white circle around the Japanese National marking. So it is not possible to say by what factory the Zero was made. Additionally the white outline was overpainted with the green or black by the maintenance crews at the field mostly. As a result the way the demarcation line of the camo colours was running can give a tip. But same as with the Luftwaffe camouflages and colours I have to say it can be the general statement only. Contrary to the A6M5, in case of the A6M2, to determine which factory the plane was manufactured by, it would be good to know its serial number.

a6m.jpg

As memo serves the Hinomaru with the white outline was applied by the Nakajima factory to distinguish their Zeros from the Mitsubishu manufacturer built kites. But it was done before the Green/Light Grey camouflage was intorduced in the beginning of the 1943. Soon as the new camo was introduced also the Mitsubishi started applying the white circle around the Japanese National marking. So it is not possible to say by what factory the Zero was made. Additionally the white outline was overpainted with the green or black by the maintenance crews at the field mostly. As a result the way the demarcation line of the camo colours was running can give a tip. But same as with the Luftwaffe camouflages and colours I have to say it can be the general statement only. Contrary to the A6M5, in case of the A6M2, to determine which factory the plane was manufactured by, it would be good to know its serial number.

View attachment 769714
Very important information. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back