Masking

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
I placed this here, although it could be more general and fit anywhere, craft dependent; I'll stick with the Spitfire theme.

Anyone played with commercial masks for the camo patterns? I'm in the process of laying down a bunch of masking to create the Type 'B' pattern for my Spitfire build. Even as much 'fun' as I'm having, photo copying the instructions and cutting out shapes, I was curious if the 'masks' were available as a package? Should have known, many out there!

One site in particular that was mentioned in a Britmodler post, TopNotch. They offer a vinyl set for the Mk, V that appears to be re-usable? I got to wondering??? If I were to purchase said set, and not use them as 'masks', but either photocopy of directly apply the mask to my own tape? This way I have a pattern that is traceable to my own masking tape and will last forever. The pattern would be applicable to any 1:48 (well, most) kits.

Thoughts, Comments?

That's kind of my way of creating the shapes as well. However, the TopNotch (or others) masks provide the 'wrap-around' shapes for doing the fuselage patterns which are usually (for me) hard to match up when using the 2D cutouts.

I used AML masks on my Defiant in GB-37. While they were great on the wings, for curved areas and bumps, they did work but were quit stiff and to a lot of coaxing. Pretty sure the material AML uses is Oramask film or similar

I used AML masks on my Defiant in GB-37. While they were great on the wings, for curved areas and bumps, they did work but were quit stiff and to a lot of coaxing. Pretty sure the material AML uses is Oramask film or similar
Thus my question on using these as templates to create a set using your own masking media. Stiff or not they would be ideal for tracing to your own.

Like George I use the Oramask film shaped from an actual 1/48 scale print out and estimate the shaping of those parts not seen on the 2D drawing.

Users who are viewing this thread