Me 262 Wrk Nr. 500531 interesting paint scheme question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The color balance is slightly off in this photo (as was the case with many color photos of the day) so be careful with first impressions.

To get a better idea of the actual RLM colors used, take into consideration that this Me262 was first a KG51 unit that was taken over by JV44. With that in mind, compare late-war KG51 RLM schemes and then compare to late-war JV44 schemes. Another aid, would be the known coloring of the jeep and the GI's clothing.

I might mention also, that this: "I will also spray an irregular pattern of "chessboard" mottles over the wings much like what can be seen on the fuselage sides" is not correct, as the "chessboard" pattern is actually the panel joints of the fuselage.

I see what you mean about the color balance of the photo being off. The jeep and soldier's uniform noticeably appear lighter than normal. You've got a point.

I also am glad that you've reminded me about the "chessboard mottles" conforming to panel joints. I basically agree, especially when the mottles most clearly appear to have a distinctive chessboard-like shape. However, at least some of mottles do not have any clear relationship to panel joints as far as I can tell. For example, I've mentioned before that at least two sizable mottles can clearly be seen on the port side wing root where there aren't panel joints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Researching a camo scheme of any Luftwaffe aircraft that was put into service late in the war (especially January 45 onward) will be an adventure, to say the least. Very few followed a strict standard, everything was in chaos throughout Germany (not just Luftwaffe, but all services).

A close friend of the family had served in the Luftwaffe and mentioned that they had to use some paint traded from a nearby armored unit to upgrade their spring camo on their aircraft in '45, as they had none available. So you can be sure that a few of their aircraft were not RLM colors and being done in haste, meant that there was not a "standard" pattern to the scheme.

If you research the late-war Me262s, you'll start to see that there was a real inconsistency. Like this pattern for example:

262_2.jpg

Here is an Me262 being assembled. Note the panel seams and rivets that have been puttied, but not yet painted?

Me262_assembly.jpg

Perhaps do a search for comparable production units (500461-500540) and compare the finishes to get a solid idea

Found this online. I believe it is also 111711, the same as the aircraft above and I'm thinking the same as the photo Andy posted on Pg.1.

1.jpg

Looking back at the original photo in Post #1, I don't think the camo follows the panel lines all that precisely, the port side patches being quite irregular and to me, not very "checkerboard" like. Just my 2¢.

Geo

I definitely agree with you that some of the mottles are irregular, and so unrelated to panel lines. However, I do think some of the mottles are quite checkerboard-like and probably roughly conform to panel lines.When I paint the model I will create both checkerboard and irregular mottles, trying to replicate what I can see in the photos as much as possible.I assume that the wings exhibit a similar pattern, though I will include the splinter scheme as well. UNLESS... anyone can propose a more likely alternative that would give me cause to reconsider. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back