Melitta von Stauffenberg

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jul 25, 2009
England
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for information about the aircraft crash that killed Melitta von Stauffenberg (WWII German woman test pilot) on 8th April 1945. I need to know the tail number and aircraft code letters, also a clear image of the 23 A/B squadron badge. The plane was a Bücker Bü 181 came from 23 A/B training base. She crash landed at Straßkirchen in Germany and survived but died some hours later. It is said she was shot down by the USAAF but other eyewitnesses say it was two Me109's! I would like to find the wreckage to find out the caliber of the rounds used. .50" would be US size and 7.92mm would be the German size. So if anyone has the codes and numbers, or if anyone knows where I might find the wreckage then plaese let me know. This is due to a restoration project that I'm involved in and want to do it as a memorial to Melitta. Anyone interested in her story should read "The Women that Flew for Hitler" by Clare Mulley, Brilliant book.

Thanks all, Spitfire Steve

Early 109s had the 7.92 guns but by the time of your event most would have had the 13mm MG131s which are pretty much the same calibre as the American 50s. Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Early 109s had the 7.92 guns but by the time of your event most would have had the 13mm MG131s which are pretty much the same calibre as the American 50s. Good luck with your project.
Thanks for that, must admit I hadn't thought of the 109 upgrades on MG's

Her downing has been credited to 1lt. Norboune, 15th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, USAAF, which flew P-51 Mustangs.
So her Bücker would have had damage from .50 caliber MGs.
I have read that aswell, but a story has gone around that she might have been shot down by her own side. This is because she was going to try to get her husband out from forced imprisonment, and fly to Switzerland. A farmer claims it was two Me109's that he saw going after the Bu 181. Thanks for your input

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't trust a farmer to be able to tell the difference between a Bf-109 and a P-51, especially since even trained fighter/bomber pilots often made the mistake between the two. More so if the Mustangs had opened a large can of Haul A$$..

Also, good luck with your research.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back