Merlins > Packard vs RR

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

(1) It is often said that this was because Packard Merlins were built to metric standards and required a completely different set of spares. However, those that restore and repair Merlins say that parts are interchangeable.

This is what I have heard, but it has always been second or third-hand information. If that is the case, the tool kit would be needed for the American, who would not have the correct tools. Another possibility would be that engine is a hybrid of sorts. Most of the parts would use the British standard, but some of the parts unique to the Packard (superchargers and carburetor maybe?) would use the American standard. In this last case, a tool kit containing a mixture of British Standard and American standard would be needed since few mechanics would both types handy. Fastmongrel, if your set of Packard-Merlin tools is complete, would you tell me which of my silly-assed scenarios are correct?*

Does anyone know for certain about the Packard engines? If Packard needed to retool in order to make British-spec engines, it makes sense that the initial production could be delayed.

In addition, what kind of threads did RR use? Would they be Whitworth threads, 60-degree threads, or some combination. This is not as stupid as it sounds since my Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk2 is such a hybrid according to some sources.**

* Is the crescent adjustable wrench a left-handed model and does it only work on British bolts?

** I do know that the barrel attaches to the receiver with Whitworth threads. I am too much of a weenie to disassemble the rifle to find out. The rifle is fairly rare as it is one of the last produced (1955), was never issued, and is unfired (except for its original proof-firing). If I damaged a screw or rounded the head of a bolt, I fear that I would a scream like a little girl. ***

*** If any of you need to have this rifle in order to live a fulfilled and happy life, contact me.

Last edited:
I believe Packards used all British fasteners.

They would have been Whitworth, BSF (British Standard Fine) and BA (British Association).

There were differences between Packard and Rolls-Royce engines. The supercharger was the same design, but the supercharger drive on (some) 2 stage Packards was a Wright epicyclic unit, rather than the Farman system used by Rolls-Royce.

The main difference between those delivered to the US and those to the RAF was the propellor shaft. The US bound Packards had SAE splined shafts.

Packards also used AC Delco magnetos. The carbs were different > Packard - Bendix, R-R - SU.

The prop spline was the SAE No.50

Interesting you should mention the splines. Joe Yancey made a prop adapter for engine break-in and it is 50 spine on the inside and 60-spline on the outside. Thus he can run either prop on an Allsion for break-in. Naturally, being a round, hollow cylinder shape, it is perfectly balanced as made, and very easy to use.

He has a WWII-era 6-blade Hamilton-Standard club prop, and it loads the engine just fine for break-in. When we first tried it, we set the pitch at 45° to start with and could not get it over 1,300 rpm. By the time we were done, the club was at 22.5° and we can get 2,500 rpm at 40 inches for break-in. When we called Hamilton for some data on the prop, they said that the prop was the property of the US Army Air Corps and since we weren't the USAAC, they would not give us any info!

Joe just used standard torque values for the grade 8 bolt sizes and it runs just fine. His break-in stand is a 2.5-ton Ford truck and he can pull the truck backwards, sliding on the tires, if he exceeds 50 inches!

in service RR ones were found to be more powerful yet packard were found to have slightly better fuel economy.........
I would dispute this. It depends on which variation of each engine you talk about. No R-R Merlin placed in service in any mass produced aircraft made more than 2080 HP and that figure had to be backed down to 2030 HP for longevity reasons. The Packard V-1650-9 in the P-51H on the other hand made 2,218, or 2,220 HP, ( Depending on the info source!) with a TBO more than twice that demonstrated in the Hornet.
On the other hand, R-R Merlins made 1,710 or 1,720 HP when the equivalent Packard -7 only made 1,595 HP. While this looks to be significant, it was in fact just differences in the amount of throttle opening and Boost permitted in order to pass different longevity requirements. The Reduction gear also had something to do with these numbers.
As an aside, the Allison V-1710 made 1800 and 2300 horse power with slightly less blower boost and slightly better fuel economy than either version of the Merlin above, due to the splayed valves and pent-roof combustion chambers. What it lacked was backfire screens in the intakes because of political choices in Washington DC.

Porsche claimed that >90% of all wear on the engine happened in the first 10 seconds after starting. At the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1972, they showed a car they claimed would last for 1,000,000 miles ( Km?) it had an electric oil pump that filled the galleries with oil before starting.
They also recommended that the break-in use varied throttle levels that included full blast sprints followed by longer periods of slow driving to let the engine cool. It was the hard use that broke it in and heat that damaged it. They claimed that a good break in only required about 100 miles.

I guess it's all a mater of scale and how you define reliability. Durability?

My Grandfather's next door neighbor was a Government QC Inspector for Piston engines. He would routinely pick one and run it flat out for the entire 150 hours it was supposed go at varied throttle openings. They hated him at the engine plants, but he did not care. he said our boys are going to fight in those planes and they better be the best we can make them.

Not true. We introduced MW-50 ADI!

Users who are viewing this thread