Merlins > Packard vs RR (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Greg,

The V-1650-7 was supplied to the British as Merlin 266s. They differed from the Merlin 66 in the supercharger drive (epicyclic, designed by Wright) and the injection carburetor Vt

A minor point. The Merlin 66 did use the Bendix injection carb. Also Packard used a different intercooler which necessitated modifications to the Spitfire IX cowling. The following website tells more about Spitfire cowlings than you may want to know:
Spitfire Mk. IX, XI and XVI – Variants Much Varied — Variants & Technology | Reference | Spitfire Mk. IX | Spitfire Mk. XI | Spitfire Mk. XVI

I found this, my bold, but did they use the same or both types at the same field at the same time?

Demand for the Rolls Royce Merlin engine constantly threatened to outstrip supply. One solution was the manufacture of Merlin engines by the Packard motor company in America. These Packard Merlins were used in a variety of aircraft, but perhaps the biggest consumer was the Lancaster III, of which 3,039 were built (requiring over 12,000 engines). The use of the Packard Merlin 28, capable of delivering 1,420 hp at take-off was the only difference between the Mk I and the Mk III.
View attachment 558647
Avro Lancaster III of No.619 Squadron
As would be expected, the performance of the Packard Merlin powered Lancaster was very close to that of Rolls Royce powered aircraft. Many RAF Squadrons used both types. The only exception was that the Packard Merlin was slightly more likely to overheat during take off and landing, making it less suitable for use in training units.

The Lancaster Mk III was constructed on the same Avro construction lines as the Mk I, with the choice of engines dependent on availability. The Mk III entered production towards the end of 1942, and entered service during 1943. Production continued throughout the war. A number of Mk IIIs were amongst the aircraft modified to carry the famous "bouncing bomb" used on the Dambusters raid.
All of the dambuster Lancasters were built as Mark IIIs or reengined with Merlin 28s. This was because the two piece block of the 28 allowed higher boost pressure for take off.

A minor point. The Merlin 66 did use the Bendix injection carb. Also Packard used a different intercooler which necessitated modifications to the Spitfire IX cowling. The following website tells more about Spitfire cowlings than you may want to know:
Spitfire Mk. IX, XI and XVI – Variants Much Varied — Variants & Technology | Reference | Spitfire Mk. IX | Spitfire Mk. XI | Spitfire Mk. XVI

Was the intercooler different, or was it positioned differently due top the different supercharger drive?

All of the dambuster Lancasters were built as Mark IIIs or reengined with Merlin 28s. This was because the two piece block of the 28 allowed higher boost pressure for take off.
My point was they are essentially the same engine. The first "Mustang" was a two stage Merlin put in a Mustang MkI frame to replace the Allison engine. It was approx. 30 MPH faster than the same engined Spitfire. The P-51B/C and D were approximately the same difference 30 MPH while the Spitfire Mk IX and XVI were identical to all intents and purposes. The improbable power differences between the two which are often quoted would have caused rapid trips across the Atlantic if there was any truth, either massive mistakes had been made or new laws of thermodynamics discovered.

And the Tallboy/Grand Slam carrying Lancasters were B.I (Special).

Rolls-Royce delayed changing to the 2 piece construction due to production requirements, so Packard got the 2 piece blocks first. But Rolls-Royce production did change to the 2 piece design soon after.

And the Tallboy/Grand Slam carrying Lancasters were B.I (Special).

Rolls-Royce delayed changing to the 2 piece construction due to production requirements, so Packard got the 2 piece blocks first. But Rolls-Royce production did change to the 2 piece design soon after.
There was a long detailed post about this years ago that I just cant find, to do with all the rationalisation of production. The changes were planned by Rolls and agreed with Packard but since the engines were different they still had to produce a lot of other engines to avoid modifications to airframes already produced.

Was the intercooler different, or was it positioned differently due top the different supercharger drive?
The intercooler used by Packard had an integrated header tank while the one used by Rolls Royce had a separate header. The following website shows a Merlin 266 intercooler vs. Merlin 76. Note that it is a Merlin 76 which seems to have a combined intercooler/header. The Mosquito that had a different cooling system than other Merlin applications, which may explain this.

Rolls-Royce Merlins and Packard Merlins

There was a long detailed post about this years ago that I just cant find, to do with all the rationalisation of production. The changes were planned by Rolls and agreed with Packard but since the engines were different they still had to produce a lot of other engines to avoid modifications to airframes already produced.[/QUOTE

Simply put in 1941 the Merlin was the only viable engine the British had in production. It was not possible to lose any production whatsoever. Since Packard was starting from scratch no production was lost.

Simply put in 1941 the Merlin was the only viable engine the British had in production. It was not possible to lose any production whatsoever. Since Packard was starting from scratch no production was lost.
It is simple to put it simply but things were anything but simple. The decision was made in 1940, but RR still had to produce Vulture and Peregrine engines while scaling the production down. The Merlin itself was not one engine, they had to improve the single stage engines, develop and put into production the two stage engines and then there were the Griffon series. Engines on Mosquitos had one side with the coolant flow reversed because of the wing mounted radiators.

It is simple to put it simply but things were anything but simple. The decision was made in 1940, but RR still had to produce Vulture and Peregrine engines while scaling the production down. The Merlin itself was not one engine, they had to improve the single stage engines, develop and put into production the two stage engines and then there were the Griffon series. Engines on Mosquitos had one side with the coolant flow reversed because of the wing mounted radiators.

I believe the Mosquito had the same engine model for both sides, at least until the 2 stage engines, especially those with cabin pressurisation.

The coolant flow was reversed from front-to-back to back-to-front (IIRC) because of the radiator position.

All very true. Also getting the 2 piece block into production. The original Packard version had external coolant piping between the head and block whereas the Rolls Royce version had internal connection. I have not found any information on why there was a difference.

All very true. Also getting the 2 piece block into production. The original Packard version had external coolant piping between the head and block whereas the Rolls Royce version had internal connection. I have not found any information on why there was a difference.

Packard developed their own system.

But I believe they later adopted the Rolls-Royce system.

Pilot who doesn't know what he's flying I'd say, power could be anything between 1,280 and 1,640 HP depending in which version of Merlin installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back