FLYBOYJ said:
On smaller GA recips it's usually about 10 hours break-in. I think some lycomings want you to avoid certain RPM ranges. Also during break in mineral oil is used in lieu of the regular motor oil....
Ya, cars and bikes also have rpm restrictions the first 10 hours, some like Suzuki requires running the engine in top gear (for a load) at ~2,000 and wide open to about 2/3ds red line and then blip the throttle (to cool the pistons) as you coast down. You do that about 10 times to force the rings against the bores. Engine oil is normaly just good oil but is changed at 100 to 600mi the first time.
Interestingly one shop I worked at set up a show in another location, to transport the bikes we rode them. As we were trying to stock the second location, across 15 miles of desert and we were young we ran those bikes hard, much harder than we were supposed to. I watched those bikes for several years (until I went back to school) and the bikes we ran the hardest were the best bikes we ever sold. They got measurably better power, economy and required the least maintenance. Valve adjustments in particular required Half the shim changes (overhead cam shim/bucket adjustment) of any other bikes I ever did!
Sorry I strayed from the topic.
wmaxt