Modern Jets in WW2/WW1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Venomstick121

Airman 1st Class
Dec 21, 2023
How effective would modern jets be in the world wars if we were to time travel just the jet fighter and the pilots, maintenance, fuel, parts, and munitions?

Isn't it obvious that the modern fighters would completely outclass the old prop fighters? They could just use their superior speed to stay well out of range and lob missiles. The only way they would lose would be 1) Running out of missiles. Consider a WWII style 1000 bomber raid; how many countries today even have a stockpile of 1000+ AA missiles? 2) Making the mistake of getting into a turnfight with guns only. Even in a turnfight a 5th gen fighter with thrust vectoring and sick thrust/weight might be able to carry the day.

For some funny DCS experiments with Spit IX vs various jets, see

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7y-mg3xek

and

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWLOQTISl_I

Last edited:
My preference would be for F-86F Sabres or F9F-8 Cougars. I wouldn't go with any FJ-3/4 Furies because their J65 engines were more finicky than the Sabre's J47 or the Cougar's J48.

Both were AIM-9 capable, and they used the same ammo as the US forces' .50 cal & 20mm aircraft guns, thus keeping them shooting long after M61 cannon would be out of ammo.
Both were also pretty maneuverable, and could carry WW2-era bombs.
Their engines also were designed for early jet fuel - which was similar to kerosene, thus they could serve4 with then-current fuels.

Plus the F9F-8 was carrier-capable, even if the arresting gear & catapults would be at their limits and might need upgrading.

Yes... even though you said munitions would be sent back as well, they really would likely be able to use up all of what got sent well before the end of the war.

The same goes for repair parts... everything they needed was within the capabilities of WW2 fabrication facilities, techniques, and skills.

Additional aircraft and engines could also be made, expanding their effect on events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back