Monogram 1/48 B-29

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jmcdaniel0

Airman
Sep 10, 2019
Hello all!

I was recently renovating an old home I purchased and I stumbled upon a Monogram 1/48 B-29 model. Brand new in the box. Except, the box had been sitting for god knows how long and the moisture and rodents and completely destroyed the decals and instructions. My 6yr old son saw it and wants us to put it together. Does anyone know where I can get replacements for the decals and the instructions? Or is that even possible?

Either way I appreciate the help. If we can't get replacement stuff, I'll probably just buy a new one, so we can put one together.

Attachments

• 2A397AE9-3F4C-492A-99B0-BAD1D58D8ED6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 373
Check out this site for instructions
Main instructions site
If there is instructions and you can't get the download, I'm a member and will do it. I also have the kit decals which you are welcome to.
Weird about the tiny type
Thanks so much! The instructions were there and I was able to download them after registering. I couldn't just take the decals from ya, but I would be glad to purchase them.

Hello again,

I have been looking over the instructions and gathering the required supplies. Is there a recommended paint brand or paint set that contains the pain colors this kit calls for? Here is a screenshot of the paint list.

There is a couple of paint brands you may use. All depends on what kind of colours you want and what range your local hobby shop offers. You may use the oil enamels or acrylic paints. The oil enamels can be either the well known Humbrol or ModelMaster/Testors. The kind of colours can be applied with a brush. The acrylic paints can be the Tamiya, Vallejo , Gunze/MrHobby. The acrylic coats should be applied with an airbrush rather but using of a brush for the purpose is possible too. Also some number of colours is offered in spray cans, eg. Testors , Tamiya.

Anyway I would suggest choosing of a particular B-29 you want to make. Then checked on its camouflage scheme and colours needed for that. It will allow you to limit the number of colours of the list you posted above. For example there are the Flat and Gloss Black paints listed. Instead of these two colours you may buy eg. the Gloss Black and Matt ( Flat) Clear varnish or Matt Black and Gloss Clear one. In both cases you can get the correct finish of the base colour which is the Black either by mixing both components or applying one on another. What is more , the Gloss Clear varnish is useful as the background for the decal markings. It makes the surface more smooth and allows to sit the decals smoothly as well. Used for sealing decals it gives the proteixing of colours you may obtain the Flat Brown, Leather and Military Brown. It is enough to mix the Black and Red colours in a correct ratio. Also having the White and Black mixed you may get the range of the grey colours

Warning! The oil enamels can't be mixed with the acrylic paints together. Also don't apply the enamels on the acrylic colours. The acrylic coats can be applied on the enamels.

With the enlightened one above. Do you prefer enamels or acrylics and will you be using an airbrush or paint brush? Your kit paint instructions are a bit different than mine. Once we chose a paint medium we can match the colours

Wojtek, I'm sending him the kit decals so it will be NMF. If the decals are different from your kit let me know and I'll send you photos of the decal placement sheet.

Not sure when or why I cut something out of the sheet. I look online, see what it is and then replace it.

Wojtek, I'm sending him the kit decals so it will be NMF.

I see Geo. Judging by how old the kit is , the instruction might have been completed when the oil enamels were acccessed only. Anyway, most of these colours listed there seem to be for the interior and engine details

And here we have the s/n "Lucky Leven"

Decals were just sent out. I found two replacements that are similar. Put one of each on the wings and no one will know. They are small so be careful when you open it up. If you could post your build progress it would be appreciated and if need any help with colours or info feel free to ask

My goodness guys! So much help, I appreciate it all.

I will certainly post the build progress.

To answer an earlier question, I would be using brushes. I don't currently own an air brush kit. I noticed that vellejo offered several paint kits that held the colors, but since they are pre thinned, I will be using something else.

The only hobby stores near me are Walmart and hobby lobby, so I'll be ordering most of the supplies off the internet.

If you are going acrylic, Vallejo Model Color is a bit thicker than Model Air and brush paints pretty good plus you can get most if not all the colours that are called out for in the kit instructions. Tamiya paint doesn't brush paint over large surfaces very well(from one who knows). For the NMF you might want to look at spray bombs. Lots of different brands and sheens

Yes. the Vallejo paints can be applied with a brush. But you need to buy the Vallejo Color series acrylic paints. The Vallejo Air series is for airbrushing and the paints are pre-thinned what may cuse a trouble with getting of good final effect. I would recommend using of a retarder if the Color series is going to be applied with brushes. However I wouldn't suggest using of the Rust Oleum spray dope. It is not a coat for modelling and requires really some of experience. There was a couple of guys failed while using the kind of colour. I would suggest using the Tamiya Gloss Aluminum Silver Paint Spray TS-17 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread