I agree, also I think a lot of folks' eyes glaze over when the word "maintenance" is mentioned. I can honestly say the only car that ever gave me trouble (and I've had lot's of "bad rep" cars like Caddys, Vette's, LeMans' etc.) was a Ford Taurus and really that wasn't even the cars fault. I loaned it to a friend and he hit something on the highway and gouged a leak in the oil pan. He then proceeded to drive it without oil until the engine seized on the highway. How. The. Eff. Do you do that? It had a full gauge package, spoiler, big V-6 all the options, but I digress, how do you not notice no oil pressure, especially when it also had warning lights for that etc.
Ford replaced the engine but it was never the same, totally buggy after that which was unfortunate.
In short, I think I've really never had a lemon or a "bad" car in my life, but then again... "maintenance"...