Napier Sabre Sleeve Valve Video

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If it really WAS alchemy by Leprechauns, then I want the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

That could be an actual, operating Sabre engine and prop! Then we could get something flying.

In post #2, the link takes me to a video of Sea Fury Race 232 (Reno Racer). I was there (Planes of Fame). It has a Wright R-3350 in it, not a Bristol Hercules. Good video, but ... just saying ...

That year, Skip Holm flew it and it went very fast until it broke. Not Gold winning fast, but faster than Race 232 had gone before. Hasn't raced since then.

Last edited:
If it really WAS alchemy by Leprechauns, then I want the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

That could be an actual, operating Sabre engine and prop! Then we could get something flying.

In post #2, the link takes me to a video of Sea Fury Race 232 (Reno Racer). I was there (Planes of Fame). It has a Wright R-3350 in it, not a Bristol Hercules. Good video, but ... just saying ...

That year, Skip Holm flew it and it went very fast until it broke. Not Gold winning fast, but faster than Race 232 had gone before. Hasn't raced since then.
A Sea Fury just crashed at Duxford with what looks like a Wright engine. You get used to the way things are, reciprocating parts and the combustion chamber at the top of the cylinder. In the flesh, a rotating cutaway engine just looks weird, I think its the elliptical movement and the ports not being the same size and shape and the actual combustion chamber being half way down the "cylinder". Oh and there are the massive scores and scratches, obviously they wouldn't be on an engine in service but they do point to a big drawback in the design.

Your memory serves you well, Centaurus. Slap me. COVID-related memory lapses as I am not at the museum much or looking at old airplanes much these days. My mistake.

3,270 cubic inches (53.6 l), 2520 hp at 2,700 rpm ... and do NOT take it to 2,850 rpm or you will be having a forced landing fairly quickly ... they don't tolerate much overeving; maybe 50 - 75 rpm would be safe. Beyond that, you are likely flirting with power system failure. The monkey-motion sleeve valve is reliable up to rated speed and not much more at all.

But, it has plenty of power in stock form and is reliable. Just not all that many spare parts left. Too bad as it is a good powerplant for the Sea Fury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back