Night Flying proficiency of G3M and G4M attack bomber pilots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fatboy Coxy

Airman 1st Class
Aug 24, 2019
Hi all

Were the pilots of G3M Nell and G4M Betty attack bombers proficient at night flying, especially those of the 22nd Air Flotilla when they were based at Saigon, December 1941

Regards
Fatboy Coxy

Imperial Cruisers for 9th December 1941 has:

A Japanese reconnaissance aircraft searching for Force Z mistakes CHOKAI for one of the British ships and makes a sighting report. Fifty-three bombers arrive soon and begin positioning for attack. The reconnaissance plane drops a flare to illuminate the target. At the last moment, the ship is recognized as friendly and the attack is broken off. Aboard the flagship, Ozawa signals CHOKAI's identity to Saigon. All aircraft are recalled and the search is postponed until daylight.

Err.... I actually knew this and had forgotten it, thank you for reminding me.

So I can assume they were proficient at night flying:D

Just re-reading the text, there's quite a bit going on in the air. Firstly the recon plane is able to find a large ship at night, yes there is a three quarter moon, but we're also in the monsoon period, and the weather has been foul.

Secondly 53 bombers are able to home in on the recon aircraft, how are hey navigating, following a radio signal from him?

Thirdly they begin positioning themselves, suggesting they can communicate between each other, did all G3M Nells and G4M Bettys have radio.

And lastly, the aircraft are stopped from attacking, by way of a radio signal from CHOKAI to Saigon, a message to the 22 Air Flotilla HQ, who then send a signal back out to the bombers not to attack, this is pretty impressive command and control

Regards
Fatboy Coxy

Just re-reading the text, there's quite a bit going on in the air. Firstly the recon plane is able to find a large ship at night, yes there is a three quarter moon, but we're also in the monsoon period, and the weather has been foul.
True, I mean, even a full moon is still a far cry from daylight and the ocean is BIG.
And lastly, the aircraft are stopped from attacking, by way of a radio signal from CHOKAI to Saigon, a message to the 22 Air Flotilla HQ, who then send a signal back out to the bombers not to attack, this is pretty impressive command and control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back