No Spitfire? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Canaus

Recruit
Jul 24, 2021
Not sure if I am posting this in the correct thread or even if this has been discussed before. Excuse me if this question is in the wrong place.

The design of the Spitfire wing is well documented, in English anyway, with books and videos. The story about the Schneider trophy races, early German research by Prandtl, the elliptical wing and the wash out are all is discussed in various sources. But the design of the Bf109 wing is completely different. A smaller area, straight leading & trailing edges and leading edge slats. Obviously Willy didn't use the same resources that Reginald did to arrive at a final design. Yet the Spitfire Mk1 & Bf109e have very close or identical, within a tight tolerance very equal performance stats.

I am unable to find, after googling, anything detailed in English, on how the design was arrived at. Maybe there is a story which hasn't been translated from German to English. Can anyone recommend a good book, web site or video which details this.

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct thread or even if this has been discussed before. Excuse me if this question is in the wrong place.

The design of the Spitfire wing is well documented, in English anyway, with books and videos. The story about the Schneider trophy races, early German research by Prandtl, the elliptical wing and the wash out are all is discussed in various sources. But the design of the Bf109 wing is completely different. A smaller area, straight leading & trailing edges and leading edge slats. Obviously Willy didn't use the same resources that Reginald did to arrive at a final design. Yet the Spitfire Mk1 & Bf109e have very close or identical, within a tight tolerance very equal performance stats.

I am unable to find, after googling, anything detailed in English, on how the design was arrived at. Maybe there is a story which hasn't been translated from German to English. Can anyone recommend a good book, web site or video which details this.

The actual wing design wasnt really unusual, many aircraft used trapezoidal designs. The leading edge slats were a licensed product. It was the mounting of the wings and undercarriage that made the Bf 109 such a lightweight design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back