Spitfire info requested

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1psidney

Recruit
Jul 17, 2023
Hi, I'm on a search for a friend. Her dad flew Spitfires during the war (English) then moved to Arizona after a crash and taught students to fly (I believe Spitfires) until retirement. I'm hoping to find someone with a Spitfire in the northwest (we are in Oregon) that perhaps she could see (maybe even sit in). I've checked with Evergreen, that had one, seems it's gone now, and perhaps there is one in Washington. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Spitfire F Mk.Vc AR614 (N614VC). Owned by the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum in Everett, Washington. It was built in 1942 by Westland Aircraft and was delivered to 312 (Czech) Squadron. In 1945 it became an instructional airframe and remained that way until sold to a Canadian Museum in 1963.[276] It became airworthy in the 1990s before joining FHCAM in 1999 in its 312 Squadron markings.

Spitfire LF Mk.IXc MK923 (N521R). On display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington following acquisition in 2000. This Spitfire was formerly owned by the late actor Cliff Robertson. From 1972 until 1994, it was flown by Jerry Billing, a Canadian Second World War Spitfire pilot, until he retired from flying Spitfires at age 75. Billing set a record for most Spitfire experience while flying this Spitfire (521⁄2 years).[304] During Robertson's ownership and Billing's pilot tenure with MK923, the aircraft was mainly based in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. It wears the markings and codes it wore when serving with No. 126 Squadron at RAF Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire in mid to late 1944 as 5J-Z.

Spitfire LF Mk.IXe SL633 (N633VS). Owned by John Sessions with the Historic Flight Foundation and based at Felts Field, Spokane Washington. A historic machine that has served with the Royal Air Force, the Czechoslovakian Air Force, the fledgeling Israeli Air Force, and finally the Burmese Air Force. It wears its markings of the Czechoslovakian Air Force as JT-10 of the 4th Air Regiment.[309] The Spitfire suffered a landing accident on 7 July 2023, sustaining damage to the propeller, gear and underside of the aircraft.

Does your friend have access to her dad's log books. We might be able to find a photo of his aircraft or maybe she already has one

Hi, first, thanks for the info...I will ask regarding the log books.. She may also have a pic of him standing along side with a tail number....

Spitfire F Mk.Vc AR614 (N614VC). Owned by the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum in Everett, Washington. It was built in 1942 by Westland Aircraft and was delivered to 312 (Czech) Squadron. In 1945 it became an instructional airframe and remained that way until sold to a Canadian Museum in 1963.[276] It became airworthy in the 1990s before joining FHCAM in 1999 in its 312 Squadron markings.

Spitfire LF Mk.IXc MK923 (N521R). On display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington following acquisition in 2000. This Spitfire was formerly owned by the late actor Cliff Robertson. From 1972 until 1994, it was flown by Jerry Billing, a Canadian Second World War Spitfire pilot, until he retired from flying Spitfires at age 75. Billing set a record for most Spitfire experience while flying this Spitfire (521⁄2 years).[304] During Robertson's ownership and Billing's pilot tenure with MK923, the aircraft was mainly based in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. It wears the markings and codes it wore when serving with No. 126 Squadron at RAF Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire in mid to late 1944 as 5J-Z.

Spitfire LF Mk.IXe SL633 (N633VS). Owned by John Sessions with the Historic Flight Foundation and based at Felts Field, Spokane Washington. A historic machine that has served with the Royal Air Force, the Czechoslovakian Air Force, the fledgeling Israeli Air Force, and finally the Burmese Air Force. It wears its markings of the Czechoslovakian Air Force as JT-10 of the 4th Air Regiment.[309] The Spitfire suffered a landing accident on 7 July 2023, sustaining damage to the propeller, gear and underside of the aircraft.
The last aircraft listed just had a landing accident on July 7 and won't be on display for a while.

If you have a name, squadron and rough date of the crash the aircraft serial may be in the Operational Record Book for the squadron. Happy to look it up.
Ok, checked with his daughter and was granted permission to list personal info...Pilot's name was Phillip Parker. He was testing an aircraft and crashed in Malta late 1943 or early 1944. He moved to Mesa Arizona and was an instructor at Thunderbird Field which I think is now Falcon Field. His son has his log books, so more info coming.

A AL90 has the ORB so he should be able to set you straight now that we have the squadron number. I could download it but unfortunately am heading out for a week. Once we have the serial number we can look for the aircraft. If there is a photo we should find it

Wouldn't be easier to find out if the father had all fingers? The note there mentions he lost a finger being injured.

A AL90 has the ORB so he should be able to set you straight now that we have the squadron number. I could download it but unfortunately am heading out for a week. Once we have the serial number we can look for the aircraft. If there is a photo we should find it
Been scanning through 126 sqn ORB's but have had no luck yet as I have run out of credits with National Archives. Did a bit more digging and found the letters on the link below. Seems that he returned to the US in April 1944.
At an OTU in the UK on 28/3/42, possibly 58OTU in Scotland going by the weather description.
I need my eyes tested, just found the entry. Spitfire BP870.
From Air history: FF 7-3-42 8MU 9-3-42 47MU 23-3-42 'Empire Heath' 29-3-42 Gibraltar 20-4-42 flown off 'HMS Eagle' to Malta 9-5-42 126Sq 'S' Hood came off belly landed Luqa CB 27-5-42 P/O DG Booth safe. Engine cut on approach belly landed Luqa CE 10-1-43 FH130:40 Sgt P Parker inj

London Gazette promotions - P/O on 15/6/43, F/O on 24/12/43, F/Lt. on 24/6/45. Service number changed from 1195464 to 156322 on commission

Attachments

• P.Parker 126 Sqn.jpg
    P.Parker 126 Sqn.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Good morning, and again, thank you for all of the information! The father was missing a thumb from the crash. The date of birth is wrong, he was born July 31, 1922.
Just noticed that on the second letter the postmark is "Chester" which probably means that he was at 57 Operational Training Unit when the letter was written. 57OTU was at Hawarden, Chester

I'm looking at the "crash" report. It appears it was engine failure and not enemy fire, correct??

I'm looking at the "crash" report. It appears it was engine failure and not enemy fire, correct??
Did some more digging as the Form 540 Operational Record Book and Form 541 Detail of work carried out seemed more than a bit lacking in detail and found the attached in the appendices. Seems that the records were constructed retrospectively in Feb 1944 therefore the details of the accident may not be entirely accurate. I looked back at the aircraft flown by Sgt. Parker and there seems to be large gaps in the records.

Attachments

• 126 sqn oh well.jpg
    126 sqn oh well.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 18
Did some more digging as the Form 540 Operational Record Book and Form 541 Detail of work carried out seemed more than a bit lacking in detail and found the attached in the appendices. Seems that the records were constructed retrospectively in Feb 1944 therefore the details of the accident may not be entirely accurate. I looked back at the aircraft flown by Sgt. Parker and there seems to be large gaps in the records.
Thank you for the update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back