Nomonhan incident I-16 propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
I got here following statement:
"Late production I-16 Type 10s had an AV-I propeller installed in place of the standard V-25 propeller. Externally the modification was identifiable by the use of a larger propeller spinner. This propeller became standard on the I-16 Type 18. The older V-25 propeller of the standard I-16 Type 10 could only change pitch while on the ground, while the AV-I pitch could be changed hydraulically by the pilot during the flight. When the spinner was removed, the AV-1 propeller could distinguished by two round balance weight on the propeller hub. "

I also found some photographical evidence:
i16-10-15(I-16type10).jpg

I-16 type 10 [source: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/i16-10.html]
i16-17-1(I-16type17).jpg

I-16 type 17 [source: Поликарпов И-16 тип 17]

but I'm still unsure about their use during the Nomonhan Incident. Honestly, I already did my choice for my relevant IL-2 1946 (DBW) campaign, setting in-flight variable pitch propeller for both types (10 and 17), but would be curious, if possible, to know how much I went far from historical reality...

A latere, I read here that (bold by me):
"The pre-prototype of Type 18 was created by some mechanics working an Tamsag-Bulak airport in Mongolia... This was successful and the VVS decided to adapt 3 other Type 10 like this in a VVS overhaul workshop in Moscow ... The tests of the real prototype of I-16 Type 18 began at Zhukovsky in early 1939... The Type 18 was never exported, but saw combat in the Nomonhan incident and in the Winter War before fighting in the Great Patriotic War."

So I would like to know which regiment(s) got this type, when and in what number (if data available).

Thank you!:salute:

P.S.: a more credible evidence of type 10 with in-flight variable pitch prop (found right now):
10-18f(I-16type10).jpg

[source: I-16 Type 10]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back