eBay: North American B-25 Mitchell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blond Bomber
And one more. This time with a different crew or maybe the a/c was used as a background for crew photos.
Blonde Bomber was a B-25D-20 with s/n 41-30768 from the 22nd BG. in New Guinea:
dXb0VhJ.jpg

Cheers!
P.S. Later I'll re-post the same photo in the "B-25 weapons"-thread because of an interesting detail.

Last edited:
And one more. This time with a different crew or maybe the a/c was used as a background for crew photos.
View attachment 696984
Cheers!
P.S. Later I'll re-post the same photo in the "B-25 weapons"-thread because of an interesting detail.
Yes i think i see that detail.

Years ago, going through the San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive I found and saved the following photo:
View attachment 695838
Ooops, wait a second, wrong thread, those are "Havocs"!o_O
O.K., here's a note to the above photo from flickr by somebody who knows what he says:
Additional Information: 417 Bomb Group A-20 Havoc. Photo taken from the tail gun position of the group's B-25J - note the elevator and right rudder/trim tab vible in the lower left corner...
Oops again! B-25J in a A-20 bomber Group! o_OCould this be true? Or was it the group hack? But this is a bombing raid!?!o_O
And after some time I did find the "Mitchell" we are talking about:
View attachment 695839
Note the colored corners of the tail fins - same as of the "Havocs" in the group. Note the A-20 coded I (letter, not roman numeral) in the background - compare with the first photo.
Cheers!
Now that is some excellent sleuth work! Personally, I love to do what you did and figure out the bigger picture of these classic images.
I'd read that, early on, A-20s and B-25s were mixed together due to shortages in B-25 strafers. As "cammerjeff" stated, they could have also needed a lead bombadier, especially for strafers with solid noses.
This part of the war, low-level attacks on land and sea by medium bombers has always fascinated me with the American ingenuity, individuality, and courageous pilots flying high-pucker factor missions, in some models without a co-pilot, throw in skip-bombing ships, para-fragging airfields, and call me fanboi 😆.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Front View 345th Bomb Group B-25 Attack Bomber w/ Dragon Nose Art
6Bj243d.jpg

There is always a confusion in the air if we speak of the two most prominent B-25-groups in the Pacific: the 38-th and the 345-th.
Is this a Dragon, is it a Black Panther, which group, what squadron?
There were no Dragons in the 345-th. The "Green Dragons" are from 405-th BS./38-th BG.
Now, is this a dragon head on the photo? Are those eyes or nostrils near to the tip of the nose?
Please note that this is a modified strafer with 4 fixed guns in the nose and 2 blister-packs (one on each side of the nose).
Even if the styles vary the dragon heads I've seen are usually in such position that only the bottom 2 guns are in the open mouth. The eyes of the dragon are always on both sides of the nose:
urFmRYH.jpg

Kyog5qF.jpg

a9x0qyh.jpg

On the other hand the Bats Outta Hell (499th BS./345th BG.) for example always have the 4 guns in the open mouth and the eyes near to the front:
eE87Lp8.png

WLTcirR.jpg

Of course there were also other "monsters" with shark (or maybe crocodile?) mouths in the 345th BG.:
a5c0F4l.jpg

...and in the 38-th BG, as well:
LXHfSYq.jpg

5CtA1nD.jpg

So is it a DRAGON or is it a BAT or maybe it's something else?
P.S. Just a hint: check the tail fins as well.

Last edited:
Here is a Green Dragon from the 405th BS./38th BG. and it is different, more in the style of the original photo (post # 608):
rnhRXlT.jpg

And the final picture, proving the identity of the first a/c:
0bhZTzk.jpg

It's a 405th BS (38th BG.) Green Dragon indeed.
Case solved.
Cheers!

Last edited:
View attachment 698566
There is always a confusion in the air if we speak of the two most prominent B-25-groups in the Pacific: the 38-th and the 345-th.
Is this a Dragon, is it a Black Panther, which group, what squadron?
There were no Dragons in the 345-th. The "Green Dragons" are from 405-th BS./38-th BG.
Now, is this a dragon head on the photo? Are those eyes or nostrils near to the tip of the nose?
Please note that this is a modified strafer with 4 fixed guns in the nose and 2 blister-packs (one on each side of the nose).
Even if the styles vary the dragon heads I've seen are usually in such position that only the bottom 2 guns are in the open mouth. The eyes of the dragon are always on both sides of the nose:
View attachment 698567
View attachment 698568
View attachment 698569
On the other hand the Bats Outta Hell (499th BS./345th BG.) for example always have the 4 guns in the open mouth and the eyes near to the front:
View attachment 698570
View attachment 698571
Of course there were also other "monsters" with shark (or maybe crocodile?) mouths in the 345th BG.:
View attachment 698572
...and in the 38-th BG, as well:
View attachment 698573
View attachment 698586
So is it a DRAGON or is it a BAT or maybe it's something else?
P.S. Just a hint: check the tail fins as well.

Love that wolf.

Blond Bomber
View attachment 696921
I found a photo of a different B-25 called "Millie" with the exact same nose art (or a copy of it) as of "Blonde Bomber". I don't have any further information about this a/c. It's obviously one of the mid-production planes (see single S-stacks exhausts) and probably a D-model. The nose armament is standard and differs from the armament of the modified "Blonde Bomber".
JVt6Q7h.jpg

Cheers!

View attachment 696984
Cheers!
Blonde Bomber Nude ORIGINAL 1943 Photo Plane Nose Art WWII Air Force Army NR

B-25D-20 41-30768 Blond Bomber from the 22nd BG. in New Guinea

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1674211926174.png

Pop Craweford , Bob Laurie , John Findfley Percy Donack Co. Naozab 1943

Users who are viewing this thread

Back