North American XB-28 Dragon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't see why the AAF did not pursue it unless there was politics involved or that the B-28 entering production might hinder current NAA production types

It'd be interesting to dive into the archives to find out if that was the case. The B-28 gets very little airtime, and it would be good to find out more information.

I can't answer what propellers it was fitted with, but likely Hamilton Standard Hydromatic or Curtiss electric props. One thing, though, propeller rotation in different directions is a function of the engine and/or gearbox, not the propeller itself.
Forgot to update it here, but I did find this information thanks to a tech report on ebay. It used Hamilton Standard 24E50 hubs with 6491A-12 and 6492A-12 blades.

The B-28 was a solid medium bomber platform, good speed, good range and good loadout.

I don't see why the AAF did not pursue it unless there was politics involved or that the B-28 entering production might hinder current NAA production types (which was highly unlikely if that was the case).
As far as I can tell, simply because the war continued, though shenanigans are always possible. By 1942/43 the USAAF was using its medium bombers at low and medium altitude and had no need for a high-altitude medium. It was a good airplane, but not one the AAF felt it needed. Same goes for the B-33. If the B-28 had flown a year or a year and a half earlier it might have made it into production.

As far as I can tell, simply because the war continued, though shenanigans are always possible. By 1942/43 the USAAF was using its medium bombers at low and medium altitude and had no need for a high-altitude medium. It was a good airplane, but not one the AAF felt it needed. Same goes for the B-33. If the B-28 had flown a year or a year and a half earlier it might have made it into production.

Informative, thank you! :thumbright:

The standard explanation seems to be that it was a high-altitude platform intended for the ETO, and the weather was so generally miserable during WWII that lower-altitude airplanes were deemed better-suited for the job. I think that is simplifying it a bit, and I'd like to know the real reason myself. Cheers.

I really like Mr. Nash's channel. If you look at his earlier stuff, there's some interesting first hand views of Third World conflicts. When I watch those, there's a Warren Zevon tune that runs through my mind. Something about a cerebrally challenged Thompson gunner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back