NTSB initial report on Reno crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
It looks like the NTSB have released the initial findings and recommendations from the crash of Galloping Ghost.Press Release April 10, 2012 - NTSB Provides Investigative Update and Issues Recommendations to Increase Safety at Air Races

I haven't had a chance to read the complete report, but it appears to me that NTSB, at least are taking a realistic view of it.

I particularly like this quote "We are not here to put a stop to air racing," said Chairman Hersman. "We are here to make it safer."
Lets hope the insurance companies are thinking the same way.

Yeah, the recommendations make for heartening reading too. All of the recommendations make sense, and are divided between the FAA, RARA, and the class organisers.
In reading the reports though, I was surprised at the orientation of the course with relation to the crowd line. I would have expected the course to be 90º to what it is, so that the aircraft are not manoeuvring towards the crowd as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back