NTSB initial report on Reno crash

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by gumbyk, Apr 11, 2012.

1. gumbyk

gumbyk Well-Known Member

Aviation QMS/SMS consultant
    It looks like the NTSB have released the initial findings and recommendations from the crash of Galloping Ghost.Press Release April 10, 2012 - NTSB Provides Investigative Update and Issues Recommendations to Increase Safety at Air Races

I haven't had a chance to read the complete report, but it appears to me that NTSB, at least are taking a realistic view of it.

I particularly like this quote "We are not here to put a stop to air racing," said Chairman Hersman. "We are here to make it safer."
    Lets hope the insurance companies are thinking the same way.

2. Aaron Brooks Wolters

Aaron Brooks Wolters Well-Known Member

Auto Restoration
    Thanks for posting Gumbyk. After reading that, and I am no where near an authority on the subject, it looks like they are out to make it safer and not do the racing community in.

3. gumbyk

gumbyk Well-Known Member

Aviation QMS/SMS consultant
    Yeah, the recommendations make for heartening reading too. All of the recommendations make sense, and are divided between the FAA, RARA, and the class organisers.
    In reading the reports though, I was surprised at the orientation of the course with relation to the crowd line. I would have expected the course to be 90ยบ to what it is, so that the aircraft are not manoeuvring towards the crowd as much.