Old Remote Control P-51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My control line flying days are long gone not to mention I'd have to build one and then get all that other "stuff".
I'll stick to my drones, nice clean and electric

Oh yea, I well remember that castor oil ALL over everything getting thicker and gummier as it cooled. Used to go through a lot of Windex trying to keep everything clean. Then there was the Nitro...

When i work on models in my shop, I often talk to myself for expert advice. For instance, where in hell did I put those pliers? Or, why did I put them there? One day I began a list of what I consider actual improvements over the 1950s for those of us who still built from balsa. Being old school, to make the list, it must be good. Lazer cut parts and kits. Cyoanoacrylate glue. Aliphatic resin glue (titebond). C A accelerator(for the C/A glue). Acetone to unglue fingers, and fingers from work. Print shops with 42" x 48" enlarging copiers. Computers and internet aviation sites. Engines that last longer than one lean run. Power panels(so you know what the glow plug is doing). Decal paper for computer use. Rechargable batteries. Other than that , I'm stuck in the 50s. Still cover with silkspan and paint with dope.

91CB95A9-14F4-4AF7-999A-CF2A6E26EAC4.jpeg
Hey guys. My boss found the paper work to kit.

Solves a lot of mysteries Aaron, Thought some of those pieces looked too "factory" uniform to be scratch-built. Like the wing, tail, air-scoop, etc. for example.

That is really a blast from the past. I remember the Miniature Motors ads in the magazines in the late forties early fifties but had no idea they also made ready to fly airplanes 75 years before today's ARF's. That is a real collector's item so don't fly it, or try to, because they were probably too heavy and the reason they weren't well known. The Blue Blazer fuel brings back memories because it was the cheapest and also the hottest. It was most likely 15% niltro methane, but since it smelled different from other fuels, both before and after going through the engine, I asked the hobby shop owner, who also mixed his own label fuel, why the different smell. His comment was he suspected they used niltrobenzene in stead of nitromethane. It smelled a little like hot shoe polish. Thanks for the great info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back