Original X-15 Flight Manual

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gary Cain

Senior Airman
Nov 25, 2022
This is another gem out of the estate I bought. I am still going through the collection of manuals, most of which are originals. Needless to say, this one jumped out at me! I think it may have been Scott Crossfields copy, can't confirm it, but it's a distinct possibility.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    615.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 22
This is another gem out of the estate I bought. I am still going through the collection of manuals, most of which are originals. Needless to say, this one jumped out at me! I think it may have been Scott Crossfields copy, can't confirm it, but it's a distinct possibility.
Is there any mention of a UHF voice transceiver made by the Cubic Corporation in these manuals?

Is there any mention of a UHF voice transceiver made by the Cubic Corporation in these manuals?

If you can give me models that they made I will look. There is no mention of manufacturers in the manual.

If you can give me models that they made I will look. There is no mention of manufacturers in the manual.
Cubic Corporation Model TR-31 "UHF XCVR" I've seen a photo of it mounted behind the pilot's head in an exotic aircraft or spacecraft but I can't remember just what it was.
20230505_102853.jpg

Cubic Corporation Model TR-31 "UHF XCVR" I've seen a photo of it mounted behind the pilot's head in an exotic aircraft or spacecraft but I can't remember just what it was.View attachment 719285

Interestingly enough, each X-15 was slightly different from each other. However, they all used the same UHF control head which is pictured at the bottom of the image. That instrument didn't change between aircraft.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 24
I think the TR-31 was used primarily for flight data/telemetry, but could be switched over to voice transmission/reception in case of emergency.
Possibly- thank you.

On another note, back in the '70s I bought a tape recorder at a Tucson aircraft salvage yard. It was unusual in that it was made by Airesearch and featured a stacked coaxial reel layout. The case was thick machined aluminum and painted International Orange. I made a few calls, trying to find out information about it and I was eventually referred to an AF Colonel. I described it over the phone and he told me that it had been used for collecting flight test data in the F-14 development program. I mentioned that it still had a full reel of tape mounted in it- "WHAT???" he yelled in the phone. I agreed to send that tape to him and never heard anything more about it. I still have that recorder, though.;)

I might be misremembering, but I think the unit was carried on a lot of the early space program ships (ie some of the X-craft, Mercury, Gemini). I remember seeing it in slightly out of the way positions but sill within reach of the pilot if needed.

It might have been used for something as simple as a timed/pulse coded IFF transponder.

Last edited:
I might be misremembering, but I think the unit was carried on a lot of the early space program ships (ie some of the X-craft, Mercury, Gemini). I remember seeing it in slightly out of the way positions but sill within reach of the pilot if needed.

It might have been used for something as simple as a timed/pulse coded IFF transponder.
I wish I could remember what aircraft it was installed in, in the photo I saw.

IIRC I saw it installed in the Mercury space capsule over/behind the astronaut's (right?) shoulder, and the in Bell X-1, among others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back