Good morning Gents,
Wow, thank you for all the replies. I understand the conjecture. Certainly because of the limited information of such a device. The name of the company founders was helpful to me as this will take some real searching.
The device and technology was actual, installed on the P-38 aircraft wing facing forward, and it was classified. The detector was unknown to me, most likely an easy device to operate in the "shack". Perhaps the PMT (photo multiplier tube).
en.wikipedia.org
The emission device, what I'm referring to as a "laser" was also a tube. A vacuum tube. With no metal inside to pollute the plasma. The active gas was (is) CO2, a well know and the first gas to be used in a (gas) laser type format. It was RF excited from the outside.
From what I believe I was told at the time that I was in Dana Point, CA meeting with the founders. Doing some simple investigation, Peter Laakmann was born in 1936, so he would not of been involved personally at the later parts of WW2 with anything at apx. age of 8. I am attempting to contact his partner Katherine Corthall as Mr. Laakmann has passed in attempt to offer some clarification if any.
I would say however that posting this inquiry here on this forum has helped myself more that I expected.
Believing that the Japanese zeros were in fact preforming touch & go maneuvers on remote air bases is very believable. Some flying at night I'm sure might as well be lost and failed to notice what landing strip they were centering up on during their down wind leg. I believe the story came from one of them whom I met during the final stages of the ownership while I was being introduced to the lab and the people, products.
If and when I can dig up more on this P-38 installed wing hardware, I will post it here.
Thanks again, Doug