P-40 Leading Edge Blisters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Conslaw,

The long-nosed P-40s suffered with severe ground looping problems. NACA tested what were initially called leading edge scabs on 39-165 in summer 1940. Here's what they looked like:
P-40 39-165 - leading edge scabs - 16 Jul 40 - NASA Langley 20418.jpg
P-40 39-165 - leading edge scabs - 16 Jul 40 - NASA Langley L-20417.jpg

Despite the advantages of the NACA scabs, a simpler fitting was designed for the wing root. It was retro-fitted to existing long-nosed P-40s and Tomahawks, and added on the production line. Note the difference between the original fairing on #38 and the modified (but yet unpainted) fairing on #31.
16.jpg

Hopefully this will answer your questions, but for more on the problems and mod, allow me to recommend my book on the long-nosed P-40s:

Amazon product ASIN 0985714948
Cheers,

Dana

Wow, that's all new to me!
A detail I hadn't noticed.

Looking forward to seeing your book Dana.

Juanita.

Hi Conslaw,

The long-nosed P-40s suffered with severe ground looping problems. NACA tested what were initially called leading edge scabs on 39-165 in summer 1940. Here's what they looked like:View attachment 570454View attachment 570455

Despite the advantages of the NACA scabs, a simpler fitting was designed for the wing root. It was retro-fitted to existing long-nosed P-40s and Tomahawks, and added on the production line. Note the difference between the original fairing on #38 and the modified (but yet unpainted) fairing on #31.
View attachment 570456

Hopefully this will answer your questions, but for more on the problems and mod, allow me to recommend my book on the long-nosed P-40s:

Amazon product ASIN 0985714948
Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana
Just did a search for author: Dana Bell and found that there are two, maybe even three, other Dana Bells who are authors. I would not have thought yours was such a common name.
I could not find one your P-40 book so, if the moderators will allow it, can you post a link to it.

There is the link in Dana's post. But for some reason it isn't displayed. I can see that on my smartphone but not on my laptop.

It seems that the book is ... Aircraft Pictorial No. 5 - P-40 Warhawk. ... Customer reviews

61pcxB45e1L.jpg

Thanks Wurger. I wonder why the link does not show on PCs but does on phones? Ahhh the joys of modern Tech.

Hi Dana. There is also a Dana Bell who is into scifi and space fiction.

Now I know the title finding it was easy and on my third try found a supplier that does not want far more for postage than for the book.
On its way

IMHO it may be because of the UTF-8 encoding. My IE displays it while the Firefox doesn't. My smartphone runs the Chrome. So both IE and Chrome don't have the trouble just the Firefox only. But also it may be the Adbloker that I run with the Firefox. After all it is a kind of advertisement.

Thanks Wurger
I run Brave browser, based on Chrome, which filters all adverts out so not just FF tho definitely the browser filter as the advert appears as soon as I turn the shields off.
As you say the Amazon ad is also there in IE

So just what did they do to the wing root fairings?

By the way, this particular airplane ground looped due to a tailwheel problem.
DSCF3510.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back