P-40K Flare Gun Patch Paint

Bigmerle

Airman
64
13
Joined
Dec 17, 2018
The P-40K has a flare gun mounted in the fuselage behind the cockpit to fire nearly straight up. The opening in the fuselage was covered by a fabric patch to be replaced after each use. Has anyone seen photos of the patch to show if it would have been painted or left unpainted?
Any help appreciated.
Curt
 
Does it look like this? But actually I looked at what I have and can't see any patch.

P-40Damaged-13.jpg
 
Does it look like this? But actually I looked at what I have and can't see any patch.

View attachment 804986

Looks like our resident chemtrail dispenser forgot that the old radios created small sparks when changing channel.
 
The P-40K has a flare gun mounted in the fuselage behind the cockpit to fire nearly straight up. The opening in the fuselage was covered by a fabric patch to be replaced after each use. Has anyone seen photos of the patch to show if it would have been painted or left unpainted?
Any help appreciated.
Curt


I have had a quick look at a couple of the net sources and I found that the fabric patch was in useage in Burma, China and Aleutian islands mostly. The protection of the slot was unpainted very often. But it seems that its colour depened on the fabric one rather than the painting by the maintenace crews. In the Kagero book for the P-40 vol.2 there is an image of a P-40K of the 16th FS, the 23rd FG in China with the unpainted, light ( white? ) fabric protection of the slot noticed nicely. Below what I found ...

P40K_patch_a.jpg

P40K_patch_e.jpg

P40K_patch_b.jpg


But using of the patch wasn't a rule ...
P40K_patch_f.jpg


Contrary to that the P-40s in the Africa and possible the Europe didn't have it covered at all ...

P40K_patch_d.jpg

P40K_patch_c.jpg

the pic source: the net.
 
I have had a quick look at a couple of the net sources and I found that the fabric patch was in useage in Burma, China and Aleutian islands mostly. The protection of the slot was unpainted very often. But it seems that its colour depened on the fabric one rather than the painting by the maintenace crews. In the Kagero book for the P-40 vol.2 there is an image of a P-40K of the 16th FS, the 23rd FG in China with the unpainted, light ( white? ) fabric protection of the slot noticed nicely. Below what I found ...

View attachment 805075
View attachment 805079
View attachment 805076

But using of the patch wasn't a rule ...
View attachment 805080

Contrary to that the P-40s in the Africa and possible the Europe didn't have it covered at all ...

View attachment 805078
View attachment 805077
the pic source: the net.
Great photo evidence as always Werger. The K model in question was an Aleutian Island P-40 built for the British. We are trying to decide what are the most accurate paint details to apply. Much appreciated.
Curt
 


It looks that not all Warhawks had it. The P-40E 41-35927 seen above , was found in the lake near Murmansk, USSR seems not to have it at all. However the oval accessing hatch on the top of the left side may suggest that it should be there though.

p-40e_07.jpg

p-40e_06.jpg

the source: P-40 Recovery in Russia – Lend-Lease
 
Actually the most of the Warhawk pics were taken from the port side while the slot for the signal gun was on the starboard. So no wonder it can't be found mostly.
However as I mantiond it above it seems than not all P-40 had it installed or it is quite difficult to notice it even if a pic shows the starboard.

Curtiss-P-40E-Warhawk-23FG76FS-White-106.jpg

P-40_29IAP.jpg

P-40FNACA.jpg


I have to admit that most of the slots can be found in the images of the P-40K type.

P-40K_112Sqn.jpg

RusskieHawk001a.jpg


But it doesn't mean the other variants didn't have it ... especially the RAF Kittyhawks ... but not only ...

AK571004a.jpg

P-40_Kittyhawk.jpg

P-40250Sqn.jpg

P-40_.jpg

P-4015SqnRNZAF001a.jpg

P-40-Tanks-001a.jpg

Kittyhawk82Sqn.jpg

MJD0047.jpg

P-40F.jpg

the pic source: P-40 In Service
 
Thank you

That is also an interesting and informative thread.
 
Photos of unrestored NZ3043. This aircraft was manufactured for the RAF but was diverted to New Zealand.

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg


Some more photos. I can take more detailed photos if required.

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_1331.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
RunFlat brand.
 
Makes for a lumpy taxi.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back