P-51A Anxious Ann

mjfur

Staff Sergeant
1,047
1,449
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
This P-51A photo was posted in the Picture of the Day thread. Picture of the day.

What is this?
1773791580858.png



1773791636765.jpeg

1773791783390.jpeg

1773791800515.jpeg
 
Similar

1773797144694.png
 
Install mounts on the wing specifically for three tube rocket launcher installation and then use the bomb mounts instead. :thumbup:
 
I built that kit.
Me too, And I still have one unbuilt. Better in some respects than the much later Monogram 1/48 kit but the rear fuselage is much too narrow.

As for the outboard rocket tube mounts I found pictures in the later Squadron In Action book showing a P-51D with that installation, drop tanks on the pylon sand rocket tubes outboard of them. Those tube launched rockets were very popular in the CBI, equipping not only P-51A but also A-36A, P-40 and B-25. A B-25 even had reloadable rocket tubes installed instead of that virtually useless 75MM cannon. Probably not many targets worth a large bomb in the Burmese jungle but lots of stuff where rockets would work fine.

B-25Hrockets-1.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back