P-51A 20mm shroud drawings? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If AirCorps are listing by the drawing number, then 91-00102 thru 9100116, then specifically for the fairings 91-14729 and also 91-61001. GD numbers relate to how the blueprints are arranged in the microfilm series, the actual drawing number starting with 91 to indicate drawings specific to NA-91 the P51/Mustang IA. AirCorps Library are still scanning and indexing all the blueprints and technical drawing they acquired. NA-91 will still have a large number of blueprints/technical drawings that carry 73 and 83 prefixes as they are components that carried over from the earlier NA-73 and NA-83 Mustang I design and construction.

anybody know where I cab find a set of dimensioned drawings for the P-51A/Mustang Mk.1a gun shrouds?
compared to the pictures the AM/ACD kit parts look off.
I want to cut them off the wing and machine a set in alu. This will make joint cleanup easier.
Others, I believe, are pointing out that the Mustang with the 20 mm cannons was two models BEFORE the first P-51A was built.
The USAAF designated those aircraft (NAA model designation "NA-91") "P-51" with no letter suffix. One hundred and fifty were ordered by the USAAF *for* the RAF...Lend-Lease came into being and war materiel had to be ordered by a branch of the US military and then "loaned" to one of the countries fighting Hitler, et al. Only 92 of them went to the RAF - as Mustang Mk IAs in the RAF. One was delivered to the USN for trials as a carrier plane - it didn't "happen," and it wound up going back to the USAAF. It survived the War, and even became a "racer." Two were retained by NAA for the XP-51B program. The other 55 went to the USAAF, after most were modified with 2 cameras - they became either P-51-1-NAs or P-51-2-NAs. Eight were left "stock" and served in the USAAF. Sadly, no airframes from this batch are known to exist today.

I'm boring y'all with all these words and numbers to maybe help it be made known that the NA-91, as the smallest batch of Mustang family aircraft, was a kind of "Swiss Army Knife" of sorts - it had varied applications in military aviation of two countries.

500 p51-As were designated A-36 Apache. Ground support a/c. 2 .50cal in each wing and 2 in the lower engine cowl. 3 bladed prop on the Allison.
I'm often guilty of "missing" someone else's comment/reply that clarifies this fact but I'm not seeing it here...so:

First -the A-36A was always officially named "Mustang" by NAA and the USAAF. Pilots and groundcrew in the 12 AF in the MTO might've nicknamed it "Invader," but it was just that - a nickname, just like today's A-10 Thunderbolt II is called "Warthog" or "Hog" by folks in the USAF...or the F-16 Fighting Falcon is called "Viper" or "Lawn Dart" --- those names, while used a lot are NOT the official names of the aircraft. The "Apache" name briefly was given to the two XP-51s (from the NA-73 batch of Mustang Mk Is for the RAF), and for a while, it also applied to the NA-91 aircraft (the P-51/Mustang Mk IAs with the 20 mm cannons) for a while, before 13 July, 1942, when Kindelberger "proclaimed" in a Telegram to Col. Arthur I. Ennis, Branch Chief, USAAF Public Relations - in so many words: "if it's an NAA aircraft of the P-51 fighter type, it shall be named "Mustang," for commonality with the RAF.

Second - the P-51A followed the A-36A in contract numbers (A-36A was NA-97, and P-51A was NA-99). The production of P-51As did NOT begin until the A-36A production was nearly finished (and though it has nothing to do with this particular rant of mine, the P-51Bs were being built while A-36As and P-51As were still in production-that's an amazing fact, if you ask me!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back