P-51D Mustang maintenance hours

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pop27

Recruit
Oct 28, 2009
Helsinki
How much maintenance does a Mustang require nowadays? As measured in hours per flying hour? How much money for the spare parts per flying hour?

I know it's difficult, but some kind of thereabouts would be nice. Let's think the plane is in great condition, so we're talking just about the up-keeping without fuels or anything like that.

Oh no, I can't afford one, but I'm daydreaming...

How much maintenance does a Mustang require nowadays? As measured in hours per flying hour? How much money for the spare parts per flying hour?

I know it's difficult, but some kind of thereabouts would be nice. Let's think the plane is in great condition, so we're talking just about the up-keeping without fuels or anything like that.

Oh no, I can't afford one, but I'm daydreaming...

A mainteance program is presented to the FAA based on a calander year and flight hours and that will drive what is called a "Condition Inspection." For the most part, the cost of maintenance will be based on flight hours through out the course of the year. The fixed cost items will be things like filters, brake pads, fluids, etc.

I would "guesstimate" a mainteance budget between $3000 - $6000 a year depending on flight hours and not having to repair and major components.

Sir,

When I was in A&P school(1990/91), I talked to a P-51 Owner/Pilot.
He said the aircraft cost him $1,000,000 and three years of operating it cost anouther $1,000,000.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

Thanks for the answers. FlyBoyJ, that was around the ballpark I had though myself, cheers. Avn-Tech, thanks for the prices, but buying a P-51 nowadays you could double the price, but do you double the maintenance also?

Still, I was was looking for more of maintenance hours per flying hour. How much work does it require to keep flying. I once had an '80 Opel that required around 1 hour maintenance per 50 hours of driving, if I was lucky.

The prices change and the labor costs different amounts, not to talk about the inflation... So that's why I'm interested in the actual hours.

Still, the Lottery numbers didn't go right, so I still can't afford one...

Still, I was was looking for more of maintenance hours per flying hour. How much work does it require to keep flying. I once had an '80 Opel that required around 1 hour maintenance per 50 hours of driving, if I was lucky...
That one will be tough to compute because that's usually computed based on "fleet" usage. With just a handful of operators with Mustangs in various conditions with different maintenance programs and different things breaking on them, its really hard to narrow down a finite number. Again the condition of the aircraft, flight hours and maintenance program will determine end costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back