P-51D - Rigging 3D model. Need info on moving flight parts.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nemac

Recruit
Jan 18, 2012
Hello,

I've modeled, but not yet textured, a P-51D Mustang. It is now time for rigging. I need to know the degree of motion for each of the moving flight parts.. the ailerons, flaps, etc. I've been unable to find the info myself so am hoping someone will be able to help here, perhaps if they know these properties off the top of their head.

I do have the following so far, though not sure if accurate

Part [+/-] (degrees)
-----------------
Flaps [0,50]
Rudder [30,30]
Rudder Trim[]
Ailerons[]
Aileron Trims[]
Elevators[]
Elevator Trims[]

Bonus prize goes to whoever can help me figure out how the rear gear functions as I have also been unable to find a detailed image or video reference of it in action.

Any further comments or info welcome. Thank you in advance!

p51_019_small.jpg

Elevators, 30 up , 20 down
Ailerons, 10, 12, or 15 up and down
Flaps, 47
Elevator Trim, 10 up, 25 down
All other trims ( rudder and aileron ), 10 in both directions

Your main landing gear doesn't look raked forward enough. It's not 90 degrees, although I don't know the exact angle...I'll try and find it

Great, thanks a lot guys. Good spotting on the angle of the landing gear. I modeled it at 90 degrees and now am not sure how to account for it, I may have to fake it.

The inner gear doors should also be closed. They only open just before the main gear retracts. On the ground they sometimes droop from full closed, but that is just lack of hydraulic pressure not holding them closed.

It IS possible to pick an angle that will pull a raked undercarriage strut in line with the wing on retraction. Experiment a little. I did that a long time ago with a model of a P-51A.

- Ivan.

Thanks, Ivan, yea I thought as much from watching some of the videos on youtube. Sounds like you did the same thing which I am planning to do with the landing gear. Mine is fully rigged now apart from that. I also did a quick texture test but am waiting to upgrade my pc before continuing. Any images of your project?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/nemac23/P 51D Mustang/p51_032.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back