P-51D vs. Spitfire IX

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not really, A BoB Spit used a Merlin that was allowed 880hp for take-off. It was allowed 2600rpm and 6 1/4lbs boost for climb.
The Merlin XII in the Spit MK II was somewhat better.
The Allison in the first British Mustangs was allowed 1150hp for take-off. It was also good for around 1040hp at just over 14,000ft?
Merlin III was good for 1030hp at 16,250ft (both are without RAM)

Sorry, A Merlin III in an 8,000lb aircraft is not going to give sparkling performance.
My point wasn't that the performance would be that great-simply that it had the range to engage the enemy over occupied France, making airbases there untenable for the Luftwaffe,

The best is the USN Nimitz being transported back in time to just hours before Pearl Harbor.

I'm actually watching that movie again tonight. :lol:

Being at Pearl Harbor - Hickam the last 5 weeks and driving past the buildings still riddled with bullet holes and shrapnel damage every day has got me in the mood for that movie. lol

You don't think the Spitfire I could fly the same distance as a Bf 109E?

Spitfires over Dunkirk during Operation Dynamo had a maximum loiter time of around 20 minutes, if I recall? The Bf 109E wouldn''t have had much more time over England I'd say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back