P-51H vs F-82 strength loadings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I'm asking this because I know that the F-82 was based heavily off of the P-51H's design. However, the P-51H had relatively weak landing gear, while the F-82's had to support nearly twice that weight on two landing gear legs.

But overall, were the two planes designed to the same loadings, and if so or not, where did they differ?

Simple answer is every plane is different. And these two planes are very different from each other.

Load paths are extremely different when there are two fuselages versus one. Loads on outboard wing panels might be similar, except the wing loading is changed, and the cutout for landing gear is different, but certainly the loads on the F-82's inboard wing panel will be very different. Landing gear loads on the F-82 would be much higher and the wing and landing gear would need to be reinforced for those loads. Tail loads would be very different as the symmetry of the P-51H and the assymetrical and attached at both ends horizontal tail of the P-82 transfers loads very differently.

I'm asking this because I know that the F-82 was based heavily off of the P-51H's design. However, the P-51H had relatively weak landing gear, while the F-82's had to support nearly twice that weight on two landing gear legs.

But overall, were the two planes designed to the same loadings, and if so or not, where did they differ?
in the end, nearly everything had to be changed for the F-82 I have read that the only interchangeable parts were one of the tail wheels and the elevator trim wheel.

I'm asking for the design loadings, such as the 7.33g limits for the P-51H. Was the F-82 designed for similar loadings in flight?
From the respective manuals, Service G limits at Normal takeoff weight, no external load-
F-51D, +7.33, -3
F-51H, +7.33, -3
F-82E +7.33, -3
Normal and Maximum Takeoff Weights
F-51D 9000# Normal, 12300# Max
F-51H 8810# Normal, 12600# Max
F-82E 21000# Normal, 24400# Max
As a comparison with the last of the lightweight P-51s, the XP-51J's Normal Takeoff Weight was 7500#, Max 9000#
The P-51H/F-61H wasn't so much a lightened P-51D, as a "Lessons Learned" airplane taking advantage of NACA tests on improving directional stability and using newer Aluminum alloys.
While there may be some superficial resemblance of the F-82 to a P-51H, there is nothing in common other than the general shape.
The -82 is much larger, as you can see, it's more than twice as heavy, and the internal structure of the entire airplane is different -
The F-82 has Hydraulically boosted controls, hot air de-icing to all control surfaces, an autopilot, and, it must e noted, each main gear leg takes the load of an entire F-51D.
SInce I've the data available, I decided to look into the claim that the F-51H has a weaker landing gear, relative to the F-51D.
Out of 1434 incidents (Damage of all types) for the F-51D, 122 are related to landing gear mishaps, or 8.5%
Out of 470 incidents, same criteria, for the F-51H, 11 were related to landing gear mishaps, or 2.3%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back