P-82B Twin Mustang PQ-179 tail unit vs other Merlin Twin Mustangs and Allison Twin Mustangs.

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
1,076
459
Joined
Nov 3, 2022
Location
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I've seen a couple of photos of -179, which was one of the 20 P-82B Twin Mustang production aircraft with Merlin power. I know that the XP-82s and P-82Bs (due to low production numbers) were used as R&D and test aircraft, for everything from camera equipment to ram jets to early guided missiles. But -179 seems to have the tall tails that I think were introduced on the P-82E (and other Allison powered Twin Mustangs). I've seen this in a Stan Piet photo used in the late Steve Pace's book on the P-51/P-82 family, as well as on Wikipedia in their P-82 gallery and as the "DF-82" guided rocket test aircraft.

Is it true that -179 had a taller tail than the other Merlin powered F-82s, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back