P47 colour (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey guys,
Found another of my long lost models built as a youngster. It's a P47D in a med-dark grey overall with sky blue under. So looking online I seem to find only OD colours on these birds, except for that 2 tone grey scheme. Has anyone seen reference to overall med-dark grey on P-47s? I found this RC P-47 that has a similar colour but not sure whether it's based on anything historical.

ok thanks

Attachments

• P47.jpg
    P47.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 29
Hey guys,
Found another of my long lost models built as a youngster. It's a P47D in a med-dark grey overall with sky blue under. So looking online I seem to find only OD colours on these birds, except for that 2 tone grey scheme. Has anyone seen reference to overall med-dark grey on P-47s? I found this RC P-47 that has a similar colour but not sure whether it's based on anything historical.

ok thanks
Just found this. The top is clearly OD, so what is the middle one? Is that grey or grey-green? Or am I losing my colour vision?

bauleo_review_lifelike_decals_p-47_part_7_01.jpg

This is a result of scanning. Just the scanner was set with the incorrect level of brightness or colour saturation for the picture. It looks like the matter of the paint used for printing. A mistake made quite often unfortunately. See the fin of the MX-W in both pictures below. The difference in scanning can be noticed.

Duxford_Aerodrome_-_78th_Fighter_Group_-_82d_FS_P-47_Thunderbolts.jpg

P-47_Thunderbolts_of_the_82nd_FS_78th_Fighter_Group_at_Duxford_September_1944.jpg

Here four shots of the requested kite. It the images #1, #2 and #3 she looks like painted with very dark colour while the #4 suggests the slightly lighter and more smooth tone. But the #1 was taken with a filter what make colours looking a little bit different depending on the filter type. The question is of what colour the plane was delivered to the Great Britain/Europe. If it was of the NMF, the RAF Dark Green could be used hence the green tinge. But if it was sent from the USA with the camo applied it should be in the OD/NG paints. The colour of undersides is the different matter. See my note below.

p-47.jpg

p-47d-28-ra-thunderbolt-eileen-hasegawa_.jpg

p-47_.jpg

66452_eileen1.jpg

the pic source:

A note .. also I found this .... "AeroMaster suggests medium green over neutral gray for this a/c. However, most references indicate that RAF green over RAF Sky type S".

So if the P-47 was repainted after the crash it could be of the RAF colours. But if you may notice on the bbs.hitechcreations.com site the OD for tops and the Sky for undersides were used for the skin. It looks quite correct especially if the undersides were repaired only and the aircraft came to GB with the OD/NG camo. But the RAF didn't use the colour for the undersides at that time. It was the Medium Sea Grey. But having the colour available the maintenace crew could use it.

The addition ... here is the excerption form the decal instruction you posted above . As you may notice the top colour is said to be the RAF Dark Green but not any med-dark grey. The one suggested for undersides is the RAF Sky Gray or Sky Blue.

View attachment 721680
the source: P-47 Decals Part 7 | IPMS/USA Reviews

Here possible colours for the undersides ..

View attachment 721681
the source: Modelarstwo z pasją • Zobacz wątek - Spitfire Mk.Ia "nowa" Tamiya 1/48
Thanks Wojtek, very informative.

Looks like I just based the colour off one of those print images which looked med-dark grey to my eyes. No internet way back when I made this one! Haha
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back