Part of a V2 Rocket

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gary Cain

Senior Airman
Nov 25, 2022
I'm not sure how this got over here, but I believe it was launched at 12:50 from Den Haag, Statenkwartier and is the only one who's impact site is not known. The note written on the piece states that the piece is from a rocket which exploded in the air. So everything fits, as there is only one V2 whose impact is not known.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
How did you get the firing time?

Statenkwartier (Stadhouderslaan bij het Gemeentemuseum, Statenplein, Statenlaan, W. de Zwijgerlaan, Fred. Hendrikplein). De eerste november werden voor het eerst midden in Den Haag raketten afgevuurd en dat werd voortgezet tot 27 maart 1945. V2Platform: Lanceerplaatsen V2-rakketten

I'm not sure how this got over here, but I believe it was launched at 12:50 from Den Haag, Statenkwartier and is the only one who's impact site is not known. The note written on the piece states that the piece is from a rocket which exploded in the air. So everything fits, as there is only one V2 whose impact is not known.
When I was in Redstone Arsenal in 1961, pieces of V2s appeared in the salvage yard now and then. These were V2 rockets that were imported after the war and test fired from White Sands.

With the detailed images you posted, I may be able to figure out where on the rocket this was located. The V2 in the Smithsonian collection is undergoing some review as the Mall building is being remodeled. It is in the restoration shop in sections so let me look over it and see if I can find where this part is. There are tension locks in the warhead area and the part you posted somewhat resembles where a tension lock could be mounted.
Tony

Here you go. I will see if I can get better images. In the meantime, your aluminum forging is riveted to the upper tank ( Alcohol ) of the V2 and is where a type of stabilization rods are connected to hold the tank in place. The rods are connected through the bolt hole in the forging and travel down to the connection rings of the warhead. There are ball joints at this connection so the tank can be balanced, etc. We know your part is from the upper tank as the lower tank forging has 9 staggered rivets across the edge, while yours has 7. My image is of the tank already mounted in the rocket body. You can visualize the forging without the bolt and rods connected. The exterior tank image in online from NASM. Your panel is at the right end of the tank image, the larger riveted panels. The smaller panel actually holds the tank into the side of the body. No doubt when the rocket exploded these tanks blew apart as your part seems to show.

Tony

Attachments

• 20230609_115121.jpg
    20230609_115121.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 17
  • NASM-A19601994000_DSH01 (1).jpg
    NASM-A19601994000_DSH01 (1).jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 16
Here you go. I will see if I can get better images. In the meantime, your aluminum forging is riveted to the upper tank ( Alcohol ) of the V2 and is where a type of stabilization rods are connected to hold the tank in place. The rods are connected through the bolt hole in the forging and travel down to the connection rings of the warhead. There are ball joints at this connection so the tank can be balanced, etc. We know your part is from the upper tank as the lower tank forging has 9 staggered rivets across the edge, while yours has 7. My image is of the tank already mounted in the rocket body. You can visualize the forging without the bolt and rods connected. The exterior tank image in online from NASM. Your panel is at the right end of the tank image, the larger riveted panels. The smaller panel actually holds the tank into the side of the body. No doubt when the rocket exploded these tanks blew apart as your part seems to show.

Tony
Thank you very much for that Tony!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back