Piaggio P.XI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dirtyprop

Recruit
Sep 3, 2017
Greetings all, I am trying to get some information regarding this specific engine. Specifically, in which way it was modified for the altitude record-setting flight in 1937 with Lt. Colonel Pezzi at the controls.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard.

There is/was an excellent site on Italian engines and airframes pre covid that I used to visit occaisionally but I have lost my shortcut to it somehow.

I cannot remember the name for certain but it was something like avia.???.it Try searching using variations on that and also go to this forum as no doubt someone listed it there WW2 Aviation Links (Add your links)

From original handbook

Attachments

• scan 1.jpg
    scan 1.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 14
  • scan 2.jpg
    scan 2.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 14
  • scan 3.jpg
    scan 3.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 10
  • scan 4.jpg
    scan 4.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 10
From original handbook

Thanks for these interesting papers !

Translation of the most important passages

Compression ratio 8
Normal rpm 2400 per minute
Normal ground power 550 hp
Normal power at rated altitude 700 hp
Normal rated altitude 10,000 m.

In order to allow maximum lightness, the entire engine crankcase is made of forged duralumin, while the gearbox casing, the timing cover, the compressor body and the auxiliary controls casing are cast in electron.

The essential feature of the P.XI.RC.100 engine is the compressor unit, of the two-stage type, with fans keyed onto the same axis rotating at the same number of revolutions, with a ratio of 8.4:1.

A special, single-body carburettor is mounted between the first and second stages.

Too bad the text is interrupted on the question of high altitude ignition.

Hi Bruno

Obviously that is a rare book and in danger of becoming extinct so may I suggest that you scan it and post it here for all to enjoy. I am slowly doing this with all my manuals because, even though I have willed my collection to a museum, that is no guarantee that they will survive and be available to the wider public. Another, much younger, private collector I knew died unexpectedly and his family had dumped all his collection before the funeral so I was unable to purchase any of it.

With me living in Australia of course even while they remain available they will still be physically unavailable to many in the wider community unless I post them here and elsewhere.

You can see some of what I have posted at

If you wish you can scan or photograph them and PM me and I will process and return the results to you so you can post them.

Any one who wants to can transfer large folders of scans or photos or manuals at no cost using WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free and I use that a lot because it is much more user friendly than Dropbox (which I also use though rarely now). I always use Wetransfer to send manuals to the museums I work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back