Please help me identify this engine part (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

artesz

Recruit
Nov 25, 2009
Dear All,

First of all I would really say THANK YOU for all information presented in this forum, it is a real pleasure to read all that stuff.
Recently I have acquired an engine part and I cannot identify the engine type. So do you guys have some idea about this part?
It is not sure that it comes from the WWII era, but my first thought was it is a part of a radial engine, but as you can see the valve (I assume it is the intake valve due to the shape) is adjustable. That is the reason I am stuck. Never saw anything like this. The only numbers I can see on it is on the valve: 28002

Thank you for your help.

artur

P1150255.JPG
P1150254.JPG
P1150253.JPG
P1150257.JPG
P1150265.JPG

Thanks guys, but the rod you see going down from the rocker arm is not the pushrod for the valve, as it is attached to the shaft of the rocker arm. (I guess it is for adjusting the opening height of the valve) I have never seen anything light this for adjusting valve opening.

Joe, could that be a sleeve valve? The Bristol Hercules radial used sleeve valves, which I think looked similar, but the system was also used up to the 1960s too.

Definitely not a sleeve valve. They were tubular and sat between the piston and cylinder wall. its definitely a poppet valve; no such thing as a rocker arm on a sleeve valve engine. The sleeve was actuated by a series of planetary gears. Artesz, where did you get the piece? Examining the last image of the head of the valve, it looks like a triangular marking after the 28002.

Just by looking at it, I'm guessing pre WW2.

Dear All,

Thank you again for your comments. Today I had a chance to do some measurements:
1) Valve stem: D 0,625-0,630 inches or 15,81-16,06 mm;
2) Bigger side of the shaft on the lower end of the pushrod (or pull rod): 0,593-0,596 inches or 15,07-15,15 mm;
3) Stainless steel sheet on the upper part has a thickness of 1 mm;
4) Height of the valve seating is 10 mm.

Please note, that the measurements were done with a caliper capable for both mm and inches.

According to the above I would say it is closer to be metric than a US Standard.

One more thing I would like to point out: Normally (as far as I know) radial engines have pushrods for controlling valves. The rocker arm has a shaft around the middle of it. (sorry for my bad explanation) On this, it has "pull" rod connected to the center of the rocker arm. So the other end of the rocker arm (where normally the pushrod is connected) should have a connection to the cylinder head with the ability to adjust valve clearance (this is the "fixed" point of the rocker arm). This part of the cylinder head unfortunately missing.

Maybe this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back