Pre-War Czechoslovakian engines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Anyone have information about pre-war engines of Czechoslovakia? I have read that the Czechs had developed a 1000hp engine in 1938. I know the Praga CRK was supercharged, 641hp (478kw) at 2600rpm at 4000m.
Czech Praga CRK.png

(The) World's Aircraft Engines in "Aerosphere 1939" (author Glenn D. Angle) has information (under manufacturer C-K-D) on the 'Praga' ESV and ESVR engines . The gear reduction model ESVR was rated at 650 HP @ 2100 rpm, bore and stroke 140 x 170mm, weight 1116 pounds. No information on a more powerful or larger version.

A 'reprint' of the engine section from Aerosphere 1939 is available on a CD from Weak Force Press, Huntsville, AL. It is highly recommended for anyone interested in aircraft engines. It is a great historic work with information on a staggering number of aircraft engines from the beginning of flight to the date of publication.

Now for 100% pure speculation. The engine mentioned above, as shown in Aerosphere 1939 is NOT supercharged. The engine shown in the original post appears to be supercharged. What I think I know about the state of the art for the period is that 1000 HP from a supercharged engine with twelve 140 x 170 mm (5.51 x 6.69") cylinders would be practical. A developed version of the earlier Praga ESVR???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back