prop B17?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AartS

Recruit
Sep 28, 2020
Recently i bought a prop from a fisherman in our village. I was told that he found it in the Noordsea between Holland and Denmark.
It was probably from a B17. He found 4 props from which on the photo was the best.
Can anyone tell me where i can find the axact sizes of different props so i can identify this one?
Thanks!
prop op car.jpg

That appears to be a Hamilton Standard Propeller model 23E50. The blades appear to be the wide cord/paddle blades. The Propeller on the B-17, DC 3, B-24 used a a paddle type blade model 6477A-0 blade that had a basic diameter of 11 feet 6 inches.
I do not know the different type of reduction gears on the engines, but you may be able to tell by the remains of the engine reduction gear box if this was a Wright 1820 or a P&W 1830.
Similar looking propeller blades but larger in diameter with a basic diameter of 13 feet, were the 6501/6507/6519 blades, used on the DC-4, F4U, Lancaster. Note the engine gear box does not appear to be from a RR Merlin from a Lancaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back