Prop blade ID needed (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

James101

Recruit
Nov 21, 2022
I recently purchased 2 of these large blades. I was told it was from a B-17 but I don't think so.

77" long with internal threads and made of steel. There is one hole near the base.

prop4.jpg
prop1.jpg
prop2.jpg

The Production B-17 propeller was a Hamilton Standard with aluminum blades.
You said it is steel, is it hollow steel or solid?
An aircraft that did use hollow steel blades was the early P-47, but they would be only about 72 inches long, with a similar blade shape.

The Production B-17 propeller was a Hamilton Standard with aluminum blades.
You said it is steel, is it hollow steel or solid?
An aircraft that did use hollow steel blades was the early P-47, but they would be only about 72 inches long, with a similar blade shape.
It is hollow. I did some research on the P-47 and the later models started using water injection and went from a 12' to a 13' diameter prop. The B-26 props look very similar with the same length, so that might be what it's from. I found out that it's a Curtis Electric blade. The internal threads is where a spiral bevel gear threads in.

This is Curtiss Electric blade. Hollow steel, so magnetic. The pitch change segment gear has been removed. The blade drawing number will be stamped on the face of the butt end. If you stand the blade upright, the face of the butt end is on the ground. Use a Scotchbrite pad with some motor oil and good light to find the numbers. They will reveal all.

Attachments

• CE blade numbers circle.png
    CE blade numbers circle.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Curtiss.jpg
    Curtiss.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
it' seems like to Aeroproduct blade because there is a balance cup with lead mass into the blade shank retained by balance washer stud.

it' seems like to Aeroproduct blade because there is a balance cup with lead mass into the blade shank retained by balance washer stud.
The bore of the shank of the Aeroproducts prop is smooth and hollow with holes and pegs on the butt that engage the torque units. Both Aeroprops and CE props have the balance cup.

The bore of the shank of the Aeroproducts prop is smooth and hollow with holes and pegs on the butt that engage the torque units. Both Aeroprops and CE props have the balance cup.
I found the numbers. Are they ever small. The best that I can make out: DWG NO 8 43C3 8 CHG HA and 88462 stamped on reverse side.

I found the numbers. Are they ever small. The best that I can make out: DWG NO 8 43C3 8 CHG HA and 88462 stamped on reverse side.
From the numbers that you found, it could be from a B26 or a late model C46.
1669906581105.png

1669906668898.png

I think Michael Hope is correct regarding your propeller blade. The (missing) segment gear and the blade are number-matched at assembly in the factory. This is because a pin goes through that hole in the blade to lock the segment gear in place, and that is a precision alignment. The "88462" number on the blade is the "matching number" and only a segment gear with the matching "88462" could be used with this blade.

Attachments

• b-26-2803139_960_720 props.jpg
    b-26-2803139_960_720 props.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 25
  • B-26 props 2.jpg
    B-26 props 2.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 30
Thanks everyone for your help. This might help someone in the future: 77" long x 12.5" wide and weighs 82 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back