Propeller blade identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK. I think it is a Rotol prop blade made of the Hydulignum wood by the Hordern-Richmond Aircraft Company marked with the pale green disk at the prop blade root . The serial seems to be HR ?60366 what confirms the manufacturer. The brass sheath indicates either the HS type blade covered with the Rotoloid or the HCS one with the Cristofin cover. IMHO that's the Hydulignum, Rotoloid, Brass RA.10046 HRS prop blade. As memo serves the kind of blades was used for the four-blade props of the diameter 10' 9"/10' 10", rotation R.H. for the Spitfire Mk. VII, VIII and IX powered by the Merlin 61 engine and Spitfire L.F. Mk. VII, IX with the Merlin 66 engine.

OK. I think it is a Rotol prop blade made of the Hydulignum wood by the Hordern-Richmond Aircraft Company marked with the pale green disk at the prop blade root . The serial seems to be HR ?60366 what confirms the manufacturer. The brass sheath indicates either the HS type blade covered with the Rotoloid or the HCS one with the Cristofin cover. IMHO that's the Hydulignum, Rotoloid, Brass RA.10046 HRS prop blade. As memo serves the kind of blades was used for the four-blade props of the diameter 10' 9"/10' 10",, rotation R.H. for the Spitfire Mk. VII, VIII and IX powered by the Merlin 61 engine and Spitfire L.F. Mk. VII, IX with the Merlin 66 engine.
Wow, thank you Surgery that is really fantastic input. I really appreciate your insights. Many thanks.

The Hordern-Richmond Aircraft Company ( HR ) is the manufacturer. The HR ?60366 is the blade serial number used by the Hordern-Richmond.

And addtional info .. the kind of the prop blade was also used for the Seafire III.

The Hordern-Richmond Aircraft Company ( HR ) is the manufacturer. The HR ?60366 is the blade serial number used by the Hordern-Richmond.

And addtional info .. the kind of the prop blade was also used for the Seafire III.
Many thanks Wurger!

Many thanks Wurger!

OK. I just have worked out the serial number. It is not readable fully from the pic. But the enlarged shot reveals that it is HRA 60366. No daubt it is the Hordern-Richmond manufacturer.

hra.jpg

Some more info. Now that I have the prop in my possession:

Stamping on the hub:

80V (or 60V) / 15 RA14261

Attachments

• IMG_6095.jpeg
    IMG_6095.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6096.jpeg
    IMG_6096.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6094.jpeg
    IMG_6094.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 7
The RA 14261 is the number of the hub adaptor. I have seen a such one for the Spitfire prop blade RA 10046/HCS

Here is also an enlarged shot of the blade DRG number. No doubt it is the RA 10046/HRS one. The "S" letter in the number is almost unreadable. But when size is up ...

hrs.jpg

Here the markings of the HCS blade simiar to yours at the blade bottom and on the RA14261 hub adaptor.

HCS.jpg

img_2013.jpg

the pic source: helice ratier pour identification appareil et moteur

The RA 14261 is the number of the hub adaptor. I have seen a such one for the Spitfire prop blade RA 10046/HCS
Thanks Wurger

Here is also an enlarged shot of the blade DRG number. No doubt it is the RA 10046/HRS one. The "S" letter in the number is almost unreadable. But when size is up ...

View attachment 763852

Here the markings of the HCS blade simiar to yours at the blade bottom and on the RA14261 hub adaptor.

View attachment 763854
View attachment 763853
the pic source: helice rather pour identification appareil et moteur
Thank you.

So if from a Spitfire IX and Merlin 61, then it is one of 11 that came to South Africa after the war. We received a total of 168.

It would be one of these aircraft (see pics) that I have been able to match original serial numbers to the ones used in the SAAF.

There were also 3 Merlin 66 shipped, but I don't have matching SAAF serial numbers

Attachments

• IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6107.jpeg
    IMG_6107.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6106.jpeg
    IMG_6106.jpeg
    859.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6102.jpeg
    IMG_6102.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6097.jpeg
    IMG_6097.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6099.jpeg
    IMG_6099.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Wurger

View attachment 763852

View attachment 763854
View attachment 763853
the pic source: helice rather pour identification appareil et moteur
Thank you.

So if from a Spitfire IX and Merlin 61, then it is one of 11 that came to South Africa after the war. We received a total of 168.

It would be one of these aircraft (see pics) that I have been able to match original serial numbers to the ones used in the SAAF.
:thumbright:

Other Spits for the SAAF especially at the end of war and later?
I can send you a list if you're interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back